rMBP screen flickering when watching videos on Chrome

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jtg0511, Jun 25, 2014.

1. jtg0511 macrumors newbie

I have the 2012 rMBP 15". Watching any video full screen, every 15-20mins or so, I notice a screen flicker (couple of gray lines) on the top third of the screen. The flicker only lasts a second or so but it gets rather annoying.

I had my screen replaced when I first got the computer, and got it replaced again, both due to Burn-in.

I thought this was another screen problem, but I tried using firefox and safari and it seems to be a problem only with chrome, AND it only occurs when the video is full screen.

Does anyone else have the same problem? My computer is still in Applecare, but it will be hard to replace the issue at the apple store since it occurs randomly. Should I just wait until the next chrome update?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well that is good news it's only happening with Chrome and not the others.

System wide problems are a real nightmare.

Honestly I've had so many problems with Chrome on OSX, just a million small things.

Have you considered switching to a different browser? I started using Opera after leaving Chrome.

(Safari is okay I guess and Firefox would make my Mac freeze for some reason)

3. jtg0511 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got to give opera a try. I guess the best thing to do is to just wait for chrome to update. Just glad chrome updates are more frequent than safari updates!

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I really like it. Very simple and fast. Actually loads pages the fastest for me.

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Not to speak for him but for me on my MB Safari is pretty slow. Loads pages a little slower, more time until something is clickable, compared to Opera.

Also this may be a weird reason but Adblock is pretty bad on Safari due to limitations on the API by Apple. They don't have access to certain things making it not work nearly as well as on FF/Chrome/Opera.

"Adblock Plus for Safari is based on Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera, but has a few limitations, mostly due to limitations of Safari:
    Popups can't be blocked.
    XMLHttpRequests can't be blocked.
    Requests initiated by third-party plugins like Flash can't be blocked. This mostly affects in-video ads (like prerolls), however not those on YouTube, which are blocked in a different way."

= A lot of preroll ads on videos that you don't get on other browsers