RMBP screen having a yellow tint to it; normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, Jun 19, 2012.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'll keep this short, since I know these types of threads aren't too popular.

I currently own a mid-2010 15" MBP, and was able to snag a new RMBP today

Side by side, the screen on the RMBP is noticeably yellower. Enough that I didn't have to compare to realize it. Don't get me wrong. The screen is gorgeous. But it's definitely yellow.

Is this normal for the new displays? I think I read that for the iPad 3, yellower displays were purposefully being used because they were better color calibrated

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

A good calibration might fix the yellow tint. If that doesn't work, you could always take it into the apple store. I would wait until stock is back to normal in mid July before taking it in though.

3. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

TN panels are very bad for color, combined with the color shifting off center it is almost impossible to get the correct color temperature on them.

A 6500K white point for most people will look at least a little bit yellow. People have become accustomed to seeing very blue whites (think of halogen car headlights vs xenons) and it is common for people switching over to well calibrated IPS screens to complain that the colors don't look right when in reality it is that they have become accustomed to poor color rendering on their inferior monitors and panels.

4. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Yep this. Just tell yourself your new retina screen is "warm" rather than "yellow" :D

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I wouldn't say it's warm. It's just other panels are too cool in the same way Samsung amoled screens have too much color gamut rather than the a 100% srgb not having enough.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I was wondering when a thread like this would pop up!

Bryan

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The new displays are bonded to the glass the same way the iPhone and iPads are. The iDevices are known to have yellowish tints out of the box that last for some time then fade, it supposedly comes from the substance used to bond the two parts together. I really don't know, but perhaps that is the same thing you are seeing?

It could also be the way the panel is calibrated. My 2011 MBP came very yellow, after calibration it was ok.

8. MacBird macrumors 6502

If you want to take full advantage of the new display, you should use a good calibration tool such as i1 or Spyder.

9. NoMoreSony macrumors member

I am only the one who is really tired from this old Apple Geniuses joke? The glass on iPads and in the new Retina Macbook Pro is NOT BONDED to the panel :mad: Only small amount of glue applied to secure the glass to the metal case. This glue cannot be visible, because it hide behind of black colored part of glass. Look at iFixit teardowns if you want to prove my words. The only iDevice where glass digitizer and LCD panel are glued together is iPhone.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't own a screen calibrator but I do it the old fashioned way - by hand. I think the OP needs to tweak the settings to adjust how the color is being display and that should fix the yellowing.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

that would mean they would have to effectively paint this glue on the display to make sure it was even :) Now that would make is a real bugger to replace. (yellow tint has being going on way before the retina)

12. alehen macrumors member