rMBP screen issues (mid2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paclunch, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Paclunch macrumors newbie

Hi again everyone, it would seem a few weeks after my previous post.. something bad has happened to my mac.

This time after I finished using the machine I proceeded to close the lid and noticed that the apple logo was still lit up. I reopened the lid and the machine just hung and was unresponsive. I force restarted the macbook and upon booting up again the screen started flickering. Check the link for the video ()

I live in Singapore and unfortunately there isn't an official apple store here so I had to bring it to an authorised service center. I asked them if this flickering issue was due to the gpu failures and after inspection they said it was an LCD fault which costs upwards of a thousand dollars to repair.

Should I try another service center? Perhaps send it to an official Apple store overseas? Or is it time for an upgrade..

2. ocnitsa macrumors regular

You could connect your MBP to a projector or external monitor to check if it's really the LCD panel. Just hook it up and use the external display and if it flickers there then it could be a logic board or GPU problem. Honestly, I think that pricing is messed up...I think a new LCD would run around 300 bucks on ebay and that would mean labor more than twice the price for parts...but then again, I guess you are talking Singapore. I think the GPU problem would actually cost more to the tune of 1K and if that was the case, I'd get a new MBP.

3. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my biggest concern is if they are just pulling a fast one on an unsuspecting customer. I never had good experiences this particular service center. I'm no engineer so I can't tell the issue but if someone with more experience could give me options on how to test that would great. I have to go down and collect it tomorrow, hopefully I don't have to pay a consultation fee and if possible I'll ask them to hook it up to an external monitor.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

5. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

I know! I was hoping it was covered since the symptoms fit the bill. But they insist its a LCD issue that just occured spontaneously out of nowhere.

6. ocnitsa macrumors regular

The external monitor is a good idea...If you use bootcamp you can also boot into Windows and see if the problem persists and is hardware or software related to Mac OS.
    I had my logic replaced as part of this program in the US...Our program had just expired and my machine wasn't covered any more, but I hemmed and hawed on the phone and Apple offered to fix it anyway.

7. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

Ive had my MBP mid 2012 do this on rare occasion but I have noticed the iPhone can cause it! if it to close to the display it picks up the interference and flickers the MBP display.

While it may not be the case with yours just make sure your phone is well out the way of the screen!

cheers

8. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

I just collected the machine, they said that its still an LCD fault. Upon booting it just gives me a frozen white screeen now as opposed to the flickering previously ...

Also inquired about connecting it to an external display and they said it should work. Il try and visit a reseller now to see if any stores are nice enough to let me have a go.