rMBP screen tearing caused by gfxcardstatus

appletwig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
It seems i have found the culprit to the screen tearing that happens mostly upon wake from sleep. I did a fresh install and installed only gfxcardstatus and switched around discrete and integrated, as well as apples default automatic switch, the screen tearing problem immediately surfaced. Any one has any input on this? Do you guys leave apple's automatic switch on or off?

appletwig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Do you set gfxcardstatus to integrated only? I noticed if i set gfxcardstatus to integrated only, and then switch around Apple's default graphic setting of "battery battery life" and "higher performance", the tearing would immediately happen.

Beanlok

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
I've been using gfx status since day one. It's never caused me any problems on any setting.

PeopleTheseDays

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
It seems i have found the culprit to the screen tearing that happens mostly upon wake from sleep. I did a fresh install and installed only gfxcardstatus and switched around discrete and integrated, as well as apples default automatic switch, the screen tearing problem immediately surfaced. Any one has any input on this? Do you guys leave apple's automatic switch on or off?
This could make sense since they would be conflicting with each other over which drivers to load. Why are you using gfxcardstatus AND the apple system prefs to switch graphics?

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Do you set gfxcardstatus to integrated only? I noticed if i set gfxcardstatus to integrated only, and then switch around Apple's default graphic setting of "battery battery life" and "higher performance", the tearing would immediately happen.
why the heck would yo do this? obviously 'higher performance' most likely wants to kick in the 650m.

joer80

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
I use it to make web browsing a cooler experience on my lap, since flash likes to kick the dedicated gpu in, and it doesnt even need it.

Also helps my battery life.

appletwig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Update: one sure way to replicate this problem is to reboot and "hopefully" run into another problem of preferences not saving e.g wallpaper changing to default, after that, logout and log back in, by now the tearing problem surfaces for me. There are tell take signs that show that the problem is going to surface - longer boot times, long delay while logging out, weird positioning of login window (password login before entering desktop) .

The tearing totally goes away after uninstalling gfxcardstatus. I have no problems gaming for hours on either the nvidia gpu or the integrated. Been troubleshooting for days but still am unable to find a solution to this. Would really appreciate some help.

bitninja

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
San Jose, CA, USA
Sorry for the late reply – I just saw this thread. When are you seeing the screen tearing? Just in a particular app, or what?

Cody

unwinded

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Interesting.... I don't use gfxcardstatus and still get tearing, but this test basically confirms my suspicion.

I've had an issue with screen tearing in safari since I bought the rMBP and now that I think about it, I usually notice it after waking from sleep. Either that or if graphic switching is involved. Like if I have an app open that makes the nvidia kick in.

It only happens in Safari and it's mostly noticeable in text boxes (like posting on this forum). I notice it rarely elsewhere, like scrolling through a web page makes it look like there is a scrolling lag when it is just the related tearing.

So I think this problem is a graphic switching issue unrelated to gfxcardstatus because, again, I don't use it. I bet anybody with a rMBP could reproduce it if they don't think they have it

bitninja

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
San Jose, CA, USA
Interesting.... I don't use gfxcardstatus and still get tearing, but this test basically confirms my suspicion.

I've had an issue with screen tearing in safari since I bought the rMBP and now that I think about it, I usually notice it after waking from sleep. Either that or if graphic switching is involved. Like if I have an app open that makes the nvidia kick in.

It only happens in Safari and it's mostly noticeable in text boxes (like posting on this forum). I notice it rarely elsewhere, like scrolling through a web page makes it look like there is a scrolling lag when it is just the related tearing.

So I think this problem is a graphic switching issue unrelated to gfxcardstatus because, again, I don't use it. I bet anybody with a rMBP could reproduce it if they don't think they have it
I'm seeing it happen in Safari right this second and there isn't any graphics switching going on – just on the integrated GPU.

unwinded

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
I'm seeing it happen in Safari right this second and there isn't any graphics switching going on – just on the integrated GPU.
Interesting.. I wonder if the integrated GPU uses the dedicated GPU's VRAM or if it just uses RAM.