rMBP screen w/ Artist's Eye

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HMI, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Okay, I'm just posting this for curiosity to see some opinions.

Preface:
    I don't own a rMBP yet, so this is all speculation based on some blogs and a couple hours playing with store demos.

Does anyone here think that the majority of screen image/resolution/quality complaints COULD be based on either limited personal experience with the rMBP and/or an opinion based on knowledge over observation?

My example:
    When artists draw a still life, they are supposed to draw only what they see, rather than draw from what they know. If one draws a bowl of fruit as they know it exists, it won't look the same/correct as they currently see it.

I'm wondering if this same affect may be happening when people look at the rMBP screen. Some may only be "seeing" what they want to see (based on what they think they "know"). In essence, they might be allowing pre-conceived ideas to determine their opinion, rather than starting with an open mind/clean slate.

Okay, the analogy might have been a bit weak, but I'm sure you all understand.

Thoughts?

2. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Not really the case for me. I can be pretty harsh with products when they don't live up to my expectations and Apple is no exception.

Every time I look from the RMBP to my cinema display, or to another laptop, and again when I return to the RMBP, I again find myself smiling at the beauty of that screen and the crisp text, icons, images.

But I'm a web designer. I've got a bit of a 'thing' for goodies like crisp typography.

3. negativzero, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  4. stevelam macrumors 65816

How exactly are you getting crisp typography in any adobe app on the RMBP?

5. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

I'm not. That'll come down the road. Though it's worth pointing out that even before the Retina consideration their apps were never all that good at producing beautiful text unless you were working in vector.

I was speaking about regular ol' type, or the typography in graphics, icons, and logos created in a higher resolution and then enjoyed in Safari.

6. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

Went in to apple a fe days ago. To see what cs6 would look like on the 2.6/16/512 I ordered.

'best for retina' res doesn't have enough space. Use the highest res setting and adobe looks retry crisp. Not perfect but damn good.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

oh ok. that was just one of my concerns with working on a RMBP + adobe software. the fact they've only mentioned a photoshop update is kind of disappointing. i'm sure the rest will come, but if we have to wait a year, i might as well just wait for the next version of RMBP.

8. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

I don't want to sound weird, but what they said in the keynote is really true. The display makes things feel real. That sounds weird, because it's weird to comprehend how 'real' a finder window can get... but it is true.

You have to take the rMBP, put it at max brightness, and hold it at a good distance from your face. Every element, the dock, the window, the menu bar, it all feels so much more alive. You look at any other screen, and you'll notice the immense difference. Even the iPhone's retina display is weak compared to the rMBP. Because it's not all about the retina. It's about the deep contrast, especially the incredibly deep blacks.

This post may have sounded a bit weird and fanboyish but definitely try the rMBP out and see for yourself.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

And the size of the display. There's nothing realistic feeling about looking at a 3.5 inch screen. Not that I can speak for the MBP(R), but I imagine a 15.4" screen with such pixel density just displays high-res photo/videos very realistically.

Even though they are obviously lesser quality, every time I see a photo someone has taken of their retina display, it just looks unbelievably crisp. Cannot wait to see it myself.

10. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

I know some people have complained about Adobe software on the RMBP but I haven't personally had problems. Things just look a little worse due to the enhanced clarity of the screen.

I'm sure Adobe will eventually update everything and it even sounded like the current version of Photoshop may get an update. Based on their history I was expecting that the updates would start to appear in the next paid upgrade. They'll eventually need to do it for far more than high-end Mac laptop users anyway.

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

the contrast of the RMBP is really not that off from the iphone's retina display. both are measured about the same (892 rmbp vs 857 iphone). plus the fact that the iphone also has higher PPI and you are also sitting further away from the RMBP means the retina display 'effect' should be much more dramatic on the iphone.