rMBP seal separation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reRESERVEDMD, Nov 15, 2012.

1. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

Hi,

I've noticed when I got my 10th rMBP (thank you screen ghosting and imperfections) that the bottom corner of the screen where the rubber meets the glass, it is slightly off. I didn't think of it much even though it annoyed the hell out of me. I got an otherwise perfect computer and accepted this as a small variation between devices.

Today, I noticed that another part of the seal is starting separate. This time, it's the party of the screen 3 inches left from the top right corner.

It really looks off considering the rest of the display is perfectly flush. Should I take the computer in to get the screen replaced? I don't want to risk getting an inferior LG or Samsung (this one is uniform, no ghosting, no dead pixels, etc).

Would there be any way to fix something like that without display replacement?

Thanks,

Paul.

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

10th?? Seriously? Considering how many times you've already replaced it, I would just deal with this very minor issue. It's not affecting the functionality. See if the problem gets worse and then I would consider taking it in.

3. Hpye macrumors 6502

Does apple ban the customer who did too many returns? and exchange? Like the Amazon did to their customers

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

Only after three attempts at repairing and failing, does Apple replace one's laptop. I know this because it happened to me and for legit reasons when I bought my first MBP back in 2008.

I'm going to totally cramp your style here and say you have a serious anal-retentive issue. After your 100th rMBP, you still won't have that "perfect" laptop because it simply doesn't exist. Even if you can't SEE the flaw, there probably is one inside.

If this is indeed your 10th rMBP, you are simply looking for flaws. You see what your brain wants. Take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the machine as long as there are no "obvious" problems. The fact that you go witch hunting for flaws will just drive you nuts and won't have the opportunity to fall in love with it.

And if these flaws are that bad, why haven't you already asked Apple to refund you the $ and go witch hunting for that other "perfect" machine?

5. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

10th!! :eek:

Talk about having waaay to much time on your hands..

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Seriously? Why didn't you just have the rMBP repaired? Why is it an issue to ask Apple if they can repair this defect? The computers are designed with some repairability in mind, even if Apple claims there are no "user serviceable" parts.

7. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

Why are we talking about returns rather than the issue at hand?

You don't know me, yet you play a shrink... I am not anal retentive, I simply had (like many other people) multiple issues with image retention. I don't think that is something I could live with... Trust me, I did not enjoy having to go back and forth every 10 days to replace the machine because they had small, irrelevant imperfections. I was there for a major issue with the screen. There have been people who exchanged their computers 30 times! I don't think I'm anal retentive, more of a person who have given Apple many chances to make it right.

If you've read my post entirely, you would notice that I spotted the problem when I got the machine... Why didn't I return it then? Because this wasn't a real issue. In fact, I had a similar gasket issue on my Mid 2010 MBP and while it was annoying, it didn't bother me as it was only in one spot and did not affect functionality. The only reason I'm becoming concerned about this one, is because it's getting worse. First on the bottom right, now on the top.

So, if you have something to say that is relevant to the topic please do; otherwise, please post elsewhere.

----------

I've had a similar issue with my 2010 15" MBP. It was in one place and stayed there for a whole year I've had the machine (until I spilled water on it and killed the battery and logic board :/). This has been getting worse (first the corner, now the top right part). It leads me to believe that someone didn't glue it properly.

I've been wondering if anyone else noticed that... Would also love to hear about any possible fixes that do not involve replacing the display.

8. Hpye macrumors 6502

Bad luck brian strikes again

Attached Files:

9. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Have you tried pushing and wiggling it back in? Be gentle obviously.

Guys get off his a$$ for the replacements. Completely unrelated and makes you sound childish. Get over it.

10. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

I tried and it helped a little. Then I've noticed that you can wiggle the seal around the entire top of the display. I'm gonna go to the AS and see if their display models have the same issue. If so, I will just let it be.

11. Kraznoff macrumors member

If you received 10 "defective" rMBPs why wouldn't you just get a different laptop? Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. All judgments aside, that looks like it is defective. If you can return it do it, and maybe look into a different laptop.

12. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

This is the only laptop I'm interested in. I've had it for longer than a month now, so no return. I've not yet been to the Apple Store to check others. Will report when I do so.

13. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You're lucky they let you exchange 10 of them. Is it from the Apple Store or the online store?

They won't let me exchange for another one after 5 replacement units. They said they have to give me a refund! So unfair, I bought it from the Apple Online Store.

Honestly, return it and get something else like the Air. SO SICK of this laptop!

The worst and the best laptop I've ever had :( I'm confused lol

14. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

wow, wouldnt after the 2nd or 3rd MBP youd realize not all are created perfectly equal - but upto standard.

this is where just having the LCD Replaced since it is under warranty would be beneficial and economical. helps Apple, helps yourself.
    also gives you an upperhand instead of being a nitpicky pretentious buyer who sees "slight' (Nonissue) imperfections with devices.

take it in get the lcd replaced, have a perfectly working machine again.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

How is that unfair? I'd have told you to do one after 2 or 3. Every time you return one for a stupid reason, it costs them money to return, refurbish it, repackage it, etc.

Op: If you've had 10 of them - maybe you're simply expecting more than this laptop can provide - and should really think long and hard about selling it and looking elsewhere. If you want 100% perfection, then pay a company to make you something custom, instead of something that is mass produced and will never have the ability to match your unrealistic expectations.

The issue you've photographed is a TINY one, and shows exactly how picky you're being. You *know* that it's an issue that's going to be covered by your warranty should it get any worse in the future, so why are you worried about it.

17. Hpye macrumors 6502

if they give you refund then take the money, and buy it again from another apple store or come back next day to the same store. why is it a problem?

18. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

If not they should.

19. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Funny, how always the OP get bashed for demanding a good product! Kind of ridiculous. MacBook's are the most expensive laptops out there. The Ferarri under the cars. Yet they are constructed as careless mass products with below average quality control. I say below average, because almost every MacBook i've seen/owned have some flaws or imperfections simply as result of bad manufacturing. Blame Apple for having a bad quality control, not the user for not accepting it. Even if it has to be 10 times ;)

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

My Apple's have never been perfect, but they have consistently been of higher quality fit and finish than any of my (piece of) craptops from Dell (4, business related) or Toshiba (2, also business related). Maybe the wheels on the Ferrari need to be swapped out... :D

21. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

It's not bad luck, it's OCD.

22. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I looked at the photos, and honestly I can't tell what the problem is supposed to be. Furthermore, is the rMBP supposed to be a functioning computer or a museum piece? Sure, it costs a chunk of change to buy one, but seriously, are we to expect white glove treatment as if one were buying a lamborguini?

23. Htetpye macrumors newbie

Know your meme