RMBP serial number

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miles400, Jul 26, 2012.

1. miles400 macrumors member

miles400

Hi I haven't received my RMBP yet but it was shipped on the 23rd however I want to find out what my macs serial number is so I can request mountain lion and have the code ready to redeem once it arrives instead of waiting while I have it. However when I purchased my RMBP I used guest checkout so I cant use the print invoice option to get the serial code (the serial code is added to the invoice once the item is shipped). Does anyone know any other way of obtaining the serial code?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner, click on About This Mac, then click on More Info...

Serial number is second from the bottom

3. miles400 thread starter macrumors member

miles400

I know that, I was asking because I haven't received it yet I want to request it before I receive my RMBP so it will come in time and be ready for when It arrives.

4. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

If it's shipped go to the apple order page and print invoice and it will tell you your serial number on there.

5. simsaladimbamba

And how do you want to download Mountain Lion without a Mac? Or do you already have a Mac?

6. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

He doesn't want to download it just to save time and get the code ready for when his laptop arrives.

7. simsaladimbamba

Does it take THAT LONG to validate a simple code? I know ML has been released yesterday and some people had problems validating their codes, but the people without problems probably didn't wait that long for proper validation? And doesn't one need the Mac App Store to validate or does one simply go to the Apple UpToDate website and does it from there? I can't check, as my internet speeds are more than abysmal. I couldn't even look at Merkel's Bayreuth dress (top news yesterday).

8. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

You just need to fill in a quick form from http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/ and then wait and wait some more *up to 72 hours* I have heard before you get the redemption code.

9. miles400 thread starter macrumors member

miles400

No I had a macbook pro 17 inch late 2011 fully maxed which I bought about 1 week before they released the RMBP but returned it to apple as I wanted the new retina, but I waited a few weeks for them to move onto batch two as batch one had many faulty ones anyway I had been hearing reports that the up to date program could take up to 72 hours to send you the code so I thought I might as well request it now and receive it by the time my RMBP arrives next monday or late this week. But as I was saying I cant access print invoice to get the serial number due to using guest checkout, but I managed to get through by entering my order number and giving proof of purchase will this work?

10. simsaladimbamba

72 hours sounds about right, as Apple has to check with all the retailers and such. It will be an automated system, but as humans built it, it is prone to errors I suppose. And it probably takes almost 72 hours to get the purchase registered with Apple if the purchase is made in some small store that also sells some Macs with their bread.

Hopefully it is faster with items purchased within the Apple Store system.

As for how to find out the serial number, I don't know of any invoice tricks.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Reading fail on my part.

12. miles400 thread starter macrumors member

miles400

I'm worried now because I managed to complete the form by entering my order number where the macs serial should be will this work?

13. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Likely not. Did you try calling applecare first? You could have 1)requested your serial no, or 2)ask them to register for you.

14. miles400 thread starter macrumors member

miles400

But if the order number was not a valid way of making a claim then wouldn't apple just say invalid serial number when you pressed enter.