rMBP Service Battery Warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aufh3bung, Aug 27, 2012.

1. aufh3bung macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been getting horrible battery life on my rMBP (somewhere around 2 - 2.5 hours on a full charge doing basic tasks) since upgrading my OS and possibly even prior to that--I'm not sure exactly when started. I reset my SMC and PRAM as recommended on various forums, including the Apple Support forum, and I saw some improvement for a day or so. Then, the battery life deteriorated again and I received a "battery service" warning. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar this evening but thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I'll let you know what I find out but am definitely not looking forward to the possibility of someone tearing into my rMBP to mess with my battery.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I was just at the apple store yesterday for "service battery" warning and it took them about 5 minutes to run dignostics and they discovered my battery was defective so they ordered me a new one.

3. aufh3bung thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have a retina? I'm particularly concerned since my battery is glued in. I'm worried about geniuses taking apart a laptop that's only been available for a couple of months and is thought to be practically non-repairable.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no i dont so its an easier fix for me but im sure they know what they are doing

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple has a standard procedure for replacing the battery in the RMBP. They list on their website that a non-warranty battery replacement for the RMBP costs $199.

I believe that they actually change out the aluminum topcase (the part with the keyboard and trackpad) which includes the glued battery.

6. aufh3bung thread starter macrumors newbie

I was aware that they had a standard procedure and pricing in place, but wasn't aware that they would be changing out the entire topcase. Good to know! Thanks.