rMBP: Service Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BazingaHA, Jul 29, 2012.

1. BazingaHA macrumors newbie

So yesterday, a "Service Battery" message showed up in the battery menu. Battery charges just fine, although it looks like it isn't holding a full charge. iStat shows 44% battery health. I just updated Mountain Lion and the message is still there.

A couple hours before I noticed the message, it got very hot. I didn't even think to check the temps, but it was without a doubt hotter than any MacBook I've ever felt. I wasn't even able to keep it on my lap. I had a lot of programs open (Xcode, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.), but it's nothing that I hadn't done on my early 2011 MBP. I'm not exactly sure sure when the message showed up, but I'm 99% sure it was after this "incident."

Anyways, I'll be booking an appointment to have it looked at. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what their experience with Apple was like. I've never had to bring any of my Apple products in, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Is it likely that I would have to leave it there overnight?

Any help or insight would be appreciated:D

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've had the "Service Battery" message come up a few times, but it's always been a false alarm, not having any effect on my Mac's battery life and disappearing as soon as I charge up & run down the battery a couple of times :)

You must have got a dud battery :(

3. sshhoott macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I'm getting the same warning on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13". I started getting the "Service Battery" warning on the day I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Battery health also suddenly dropped to 75% from 81%. I had also calibrated the battery fully just several hours ago (right after calibration the health was 81%). Looks like a software issue. The OS X 10.8.0 is calculating the Battery Capacity wrong and may be evening the Battery! Many others are reporting drastic issues with their battery life and capacity. Please let Apple know about this problem, this is the only way to fix the problem.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html