Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I don't know which idiots downvoted you but when a company esp. one the size of apple gives a 3-4 weeks shipment timeframe they should at the very least charge you for AppleCare and other services a week before they ship. They have your money now and they can get interest on it, 3 weeks in business with someone else's money at hand is ages... They are wrong and you should press he point that unless you are a few days close to shipping I find it unacceptable for you to charge me for services that based on owning a device that I (you) don't at the moment own.:)

AppleCare is insurance extra warranty for a device. This should be charged a upon reception of the device. What is apple insuring at the moment? A device they haven't shipped. What if god forbid a fire goes off in their manufacturing plant and they can't ship the mac? They ll credit you AppleCare back of course, but will they pay interest rates on it? Of course they won't. The boys here might not get this, but if I can have close to a month more with someone else's money, say $300, multiplied by say 100,000 buyers that's a month of $30,000,000 at hand for my cash flow and interest rates. That's A LOT of money to have at hand for a month extra, it's close to enough interest rates to pay for AppleCare itself.

If you're worried about interest on money, then the bigger idiot is the person who buys Apple Care at the time of purchase. The buyer can and should wait until the end of their first year of ownership before purchasing it.

Apple doesn't have your money for 3 weeks, they have it for 1 full year because you bought it too early! Again, you have a full year to purchase Apple Care, so your interests on money is a ridiculous argument and only proves you don't know what you're talking about. If you want to make interest on your money, don't buy AppleCare until the last moment.

As an aside, Apple will send you an email reminder that your 1-year of ownership is ending and to extend an offer to purchase AppleCare before it's too late.

I swear, if Apple were to change its policy that AppleCare must be bought at the time of purchase, these would be the same people to complain.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Much ado about nothing.

Blow45, if you don't like the way Apple does business, you have the right to not buy from them. I can't believe the things you are writing. Seriously, it is embarrassing.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know which idiots downvoted you but when a company esp. one the size of apple gives a 3-4 weeks shipment timeframe they should at the very least charge you for AppleCare and other services a week before they ship. They have your money now and they can get interest on it, 3 weeks in business with someone else's money at hand is ages... They are wrong and you should press he point that unless you are a few days close to shipping I find it unacceptable for you to charge me for services that based on owning a device that I (you) don't at the moment own.:)

AppleCare is insurance extra warranty for a device. This should be charged a upon reception of the device. What is apple insuring at the moment? A device they haven't shipped. What if god forbid a fire goes off in their manufacturing plant and they can't ship the mac? They ll credit you AppleCare back of course, but will they pay interest rates on it? Of course they won't. The boys here might not get this, but if I can have close to a month more with someone else's money, say $300, multiplied by say 100,000 buyers that's a month of $30,000,000 at hand for my cash flow and interest rates. That's A LOT of money to have at hand for a month extra, it's close to enough interest rates to pay for AppleCare itself.

I guess you do not know the meaning present value. I can't tell who is worst. OP or you for your idiotic self entitled comments. BTW your assumptions and math is horrific.

Last edited:

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I don't have as much of a problem regarding the adapters.

However, the AppleCare and One-to-One are not really "in stock" or "shipped".
They can't really be out of stock - they are services.

However I can't use these services until I have the computer.

So order those later once you have your computer. Apple doesn't care about your $500 for cash flow. They have so much cash they can't spend it all. It's just part of the process. If you don't like the process you adapt to suit your needs; don't order ancillary devices or services until you have the main component.

Cheers,

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
When you go to the Apple Store to place an order, it specifically tells you how long it will be until each item ships.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display - ships in 3 to 4 weeks
AppleCare Protection Plan - in stock
One to One Membership - ships within 24 hours via email

If the OP didn't pay attention to that, it's not Apple's fault. It's the customer's responsibility to read the information that's being presented to them. To me, it seems pretty obvious that the other two items will be available well before the computer itself. If that was a problem, then he/she should have waited until the computer was available to order the other items.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
@cosmopilot. You are the only one I am dignifying with an answer because you are one of the few here who seems reasonable... Yes you are right people should know better than to buy applecare with their computer, but that doesn't exempt apple from their responsibility to charge for it upon time of shipment and not earlier. Two wrongs don't make a right. Each party has their responsibilities, saying that oh well you bought applecare with the mac, they don't know any better so let's charge them a month in advance too is shameful.

Also your "if apple did X people would still complain" argument, the typical argument in these forums, simply doesn't stand and is an apple only phenomenon. No other company has forums where other users defend said company by attacking others and say even if bmw, bosch, sony did this you would still complain. You don't here people saying no matter what ms do you whine...

People don't complain when their reasonable demands are met. It's very reasonable to demand you get charged for warranty when you receive the product and not a month in advance.

People don't have an issue with apple and they like to complain, the number of people who are habitual whiners is a very, very small fraction. People just pay a lot of their hard earned cash, they pay much more of their hard earned cash than they do to any competitor and apple is responsible for a lot of errors in judgment and business practice as well as a lot of intentionally poor decisions against the users' best interests. Wow, is he serious, did he say that apple intends to go against the buyers best interests if their own are served better? They sure are, but only in a apple forum people cannot stand this basic business reality and defend apple as if it were their mothers or sisters.

The case here is simple, charge for the warranty upon shipping, not before, period and end of story. All the rest is filler, it's all talk just to say apple is in the right, when they are not.

It does seem like Apple could resolve this by offering an option to "Don't ship until all items in stock." Amazon does this.

you are absolutely right, but don't mention amazon here to these guys, amazon is the big bad wolf... another constructed enemy against the cult of apple who is out to monopolize the book market so apple out of the good of their hearts collided with book publishers to raise and fix prices so they can have another market to themselves and of course so they can stop the big bad monopolizer... :)

Something as simple as: one doesn't charge for a warranty unless they ship the under warranty item, has become an impetus for ad hominem attacks against the op and myself.

----------

So order those later once you have your computer. Apple doesn't care about your $500 for cash flow. They have so much cash they can't spend it all. It's just part of the process. If you don't like the process you adapt to suit your needs; don't order ancillary devices or services until you have the main component.

Cheers,

If they don't care about the cash flow then why don't they charge for it at the end of the first year and they charge for it a month and a year in advance? :rolleyes: You can't be that naive, they have the guy who run dixons at the helm, one of the most cut throat business sectors, and you think it's not planned to the last t, to the last second when they get your money to maximize their cash flow? Do you also think that they are providing humanitarian aid in Asia via Foxconn?

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
It does seem like Apple could resolve this by offering an option to "Don't ship until all items in stock." Amazon does this.

Honestly , you have made the best point. A lot of these other peoples are just sucking apples ... blindly. They are a big enough and smart enough company to realize that starting a warranty before the actual product can be used is *********.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Honestly , you have made the best point. A lot of these other peoples are just sucking apples ... blindly. They are a big enough and smart enough company to realize that starting a warranty before the actual product can be used is *********.

Your Applecare warranty doesn't kick in until a year after you purchased your Mac. You bought the warranty but you have 360 days to register it.

Also, Amazon has that option because they are trying to save money on shipping. If you buy 2 things that come from 2 different warehouses, Amazon will ship 1 ahead of the other, regardless of your selection.

Again, there is nothing stopping someone from returning what they bought. If they complain they can't use a monitor because they don't have the computer, how does Apple know that they aren't using the monitor on another system?

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
Your Applecare warranty doesn't kick in until a year after you purchased your Mac. You bought the warranty but you have 360 days to register it.

Also, Amazon has that option because they are trying to save money on shipping. If you buy 2 things that come from 2 different warehouses, Amazon will ship 1 ahead of the other, regardless of your selection.

Again, there is nothing stopping someone from returning what they bought. If they complain they can't use a monitor because they don't have the computer, how does Apple know that they aren't using the monitor on another system?

Touché. Thought the start day was earlier

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011

Like I said before all the more so when the warranty doesn't kick in until a year after that you shouldn't be charged a year and a month in advance.

Apple know very well you don't need to be charged for applecare for a device they haven't even manufactured, let alone shipped... So your monitor example isn't apt. It's not separate equipment we are talking about, it's service care for the specific equipment you purchase but won't be shipping until at least 3 weeks.

What happens if they have problems manufacturing the machine and they delay it, do you get back interest on the money they are holding for that month?

Of course there's the other side it, the one that says apple is right here for doing business this way. So, I reckon we should start suggesting to anyone we do business with that they start pre-charging us for extended warranties before first having to ship anything. Right? :)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Like I said before all the more so when the warranty doesn't kick in until a year after that you shouldn't be charged a year and a month in advance.

Apple know very well you don't need to be charged for applecare for a device they haven't even manufactured, let alone shipped... So your monitor example isn't apt. It's not separate equipment we are talking about, it's service care for the specific equipment you purchase but won't be shipping until at least 3 weeks.

What happens if they have problems manufacturing the machine and they delay it, do you get back interest on the money they are holding for that month?

Of course there's the other side it, the one that says apple is right here for doing business this way. So, I reckon we should start suggesting to anyone we do business with that they start pre-charging us for extended warranties before first having to ship anything. Right? :)

The OP bought it, Apple provided it and took their money. End of story.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

Apple offers you up to a year to purchase the warranty. Again, you could be buying the warranty for another system, how are they to know? What if you had a 15" MBP that was nearly a year old. You wanted to give the MBP to your spouse and were buying a new rMBP for yourself. So Apple decides 'hey this guy bought Applecare, must've been for the system he just bought', so they don't ship the Applecare until the rMBP gets shipped. At which point, the warranty for the 15" MBP runs out and you are out of luck.

So the best thing for Apple to do is err on the side of caution and ship things as available. Again, I think them offering up to a year to buy an extended warranty is extremely generous. I don't think other companies do this.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Apple offers you up to a year to purchase the warranty. Again, you could be buying the warranty for another system, how are they to know? What if you had a 15" MBP that was nearly a year old. You wanted to give the MBP to your spouse and were buying a new rMBP for yourself.
That is a reasonable point you are making. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.