RMBP, Should I get 16gb RAM??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RussellJones, Oct 6, 2012.

1. RussellJones macrumors member

I currently have a RMBP with 8gb RAM, in my last year of A-Levels (17) and will hopefully be going on to university to study aerospace engineering, I thought 8gb would be plenty but now having doubts, will be running CAD programs like autoCAD. what do you think ?

2. theineffablebob macrumors regular

If you have the money, go for it. I feel like it'd be 2 more years before you'd really need 16GB of RAM for those types of applications. Currently you don't need more than 8GB unless the models are very complicated.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You didn't find sufficient info on the matter here before posting? this has been discussed so many times.

I would say go with 16GB, others don't... and the debate goes on...

4. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

i have looked, i have seen the other threads, although I haven't seen a thread that applies to my situation, on this forum or any others for that matter. Just wanted an opinion

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I would say yes. If its something you can't change later on you might as well upgrade while you can

6. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I would say it depends on two things:

- the programs you need to use
    . the number of years you intend to keep the machine

I use VMs quite a lot and tend to keep my Macs for 3 to 5 years. As it's not possible to upgrade later, I went for 16Gb RAM.

7. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

when i got this , i got it a little cheaper because a local retailer were selling them cheaper, do you think if i returned it they would just add the extra on for the ram. the machine has a fault anyway and needs replacing at least

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I would have liked the extra ram but I really wanted to buy from Amazon and they only sell the 8GB models. I don't expect it to be a problem--just depends on if you want to get it from Apple or some of the other mail order houses that sell the 16GB model.

9. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

or you in the uk, amazon are selling them at about £1580 which is a great price, roughly the same as what i paid for mine

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

11. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Yep....to get the max performance now...and keep the rMBP working well over the coming years.

13. 2005CTS macrumors 6502

With the Retina MBP - you can't upgrade later - so I say get the 16GB. I ordered a RMBP last week - hope to have it in a couple of days. I ordered the 2.6gHZ, 512 SSD with 16 GB RAM.

Can't wait!!!

14. clamchowderz macrumors member

This is an easy question and answer.
    Answer: Yes, no question about it. Yes.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you're using AutoCad, then yeah- do it. The most I need this thing for is video editing, and 8 gigs will be fine for a very long time.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

This is the only worthy advise in this thread. Others are pretty much useless.

"If you can afford it then yes for 16gb." You will be buying a lot of useless things.

"I would say yes. If its something you can't change later on you might as well upgrade while you can" You can't change your engine in your car so are you buying the top model?

"Yep....to get the max performance now...and keep the rMBP working well over the coming years." That's not max performance because you are not using the RAM there. The RAM may work the coming years but what about CPU/GPU?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's wrong with buying a lot of useless things?

18. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

19. vaugha, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

vaugha macrumors regular

I've originally had a bto rmbp 2.6/16/512 for 2 months before eventually returning it and ordering a base base model due to dead pixels, and ip problems. Since it was a bto model it just took way too long to get any kind of new replacements, so I settled w/ a base model so I can swap it out immediately for another one in case I had to. Now after getting used to 8gb, I wish I had 16gb.

I like os x.8.2 but one gripe is its memory management. I prefer w7's memory management over that of os x. I still have a 4-year old i7 940 OC'd pc w/ 6GB ram and 580 sli running w7 and if I try to stress it w/ Crysis 1/2 running and have ff w/ 8-10 tabs, winamp open simultaneously, it nowhere near consumes more than 4-4.5gb at any given point.

Mac safari is such a memory hog especially w/ the infamous flash add-on "safari web content" I eventually run out of free memory and if I don't reboot it on a regular basis, it will show page out and swap increment from 0 to something > 0. The design philosophy behind memory management in os x appears to be to use all of available amount until eventually run out and then to start freeing up inactive memory and others. However until then it will keep using all the free memory until it has none left at which point I see non-zero page out and swap used.

I've had my pc on for weeks and even months w/o a single reboot and it never ran out of memory. I'm satisfied w/ the 1st gen rmbp but next year when they come out w/ a haswell refresh I think I know what config I will order. It probably won't solve "running-out-of-memory" issue os x.8.2 seems to have unless they tweak their mm algorithms but at least I will reboot less often and won't have to open activity monitor every hour. :eek:

Ps: oh also I'm an instrumentation engineer and I use acad every day along w/ eplan, concept, unity, proworx, modsoft, citect, wonderware, s7/wincc pro/flex, wincc, simatic manager, rslogix and many others. While I'd say 8gb would be fine in w7, I say 16gb is the way to go for mac provided you are not going on an annual upgrade path like I do.

20. RealEyes macrumors regular

Yes. Otherwise you're stuck with 8 and who wants to settle for less?

21. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Thats normal and a GOOD thing. Trust me, I've had to get it explained to me if you go to my thread. I'm coming from Windows and I know what you mean. Memory management is better on here than Windows.

22. vaugha macrumors regular

Do you mind elaborating? I'd love to know why you outright claim it's better than w7 and where the credibility of your claimed sources are coming from.

23. locoboi187, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I just said go to my thread. Therefore, that is my source.

Edit: I'll save you the time.

This is what I originally thought:
    However, munkery explained to me how it all works:

I won't say OS X's memory mangement is better than Windows, but it is much better. This is coming from a longtime PC user and a first time Mac owner. I returned my HP Envy for a rBP, with practically equal specs and pricing. Ofc the Macbook had a better display and much thinner.

24. vaugha macrumors regular

I have read your thread and nowhere have I seen anything that would constitute some kind of "source". Do you know how an os works? Have you ever programmed a simple os before? Do you know c/++/#, java, perl, vba/vb, sql, db3, .net or anything of that sort? Do you know how to make memory using flip-flop and other logic gates? Do you know what a shift register is?

You need to keep your personal thoughts on a tight leash especially when you don't have the kind of background to claim such baseless things. Not trying to pick a fight or anything but it's hilarious when some kid joins a forum 3 days ago and goes on clamoring things he knows nothing about. :D

25. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would if you have any bit of doubt that it won't be sufficient in the future. Future-proofing a rMBP is critical as you can't upgrade it yourself.