Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

RMBP, Should I get 16gb RAM??

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I currently have a RMBP with 8gb RAM, in my last year of A-Levels (17) and will hopefully be going on to university to study aerospace engineering, I thought 8gb would be plenty but now having doubts, will be running CAD programs like autoCAD. what do you think ?

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
If you have the money, go for it. I feel like it'd be 2 more years before you'd really need 16GB of RAM for those types of applications. Currently you don't need more than 8GB unless the models are very complicated.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
You didn't find sufficient info on the matter here before posting? this has been discussed so many times.

I would say go with 16GB, others don't... and the debate goes on...

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
i have looked, i have seen the other threads, although I haven't seen a thread that applies to my situation, on this forum or any others for that matter. Just wanted an opinion

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I would say it depends on two things:

- the programs you need to use
. the number of years you intend to keep the machine

I use VMs quite a lot and tend to keep my Macs for 3 to 5 years. As it's not possible to upgrade later, I went for 16Gb RAM.

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
when i got this , i got it a little cheaper because a local retailer were selling them cheaper, do you think if i returned it they would just add the extra on for the ram. the machine has a fault anyway and needs replacing at least

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I would have liked the extra ram but I really wanted to buy from Amazon and they only sell the 8GB models. I don't expect it to be a problem--just depends on if you want to get it from Apple or some of the other mail order houses that sell the 16GB model.

RussellJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I would have liked the extra ram but I really wanted to buy from Amazon and they only sell the 8GB models. I don't expect it to be a problem--just depends on if you want to get it from Apple or some of the other mail order houses that sell the 16GB model.

or you in the uk, amazon are selling them at about £1580 which is a great price, roughly the same as what i paid for mine

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Yep....to get the max performance now...and keep the rMBP working well over the coming years.

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
With the Retina MBP - you can't upgrade later - so I say get the 16GB. I ordered a RMBP last week - hope to have it in a couple of days. I ordered the 2.6gHZ, 512 SSD with 16 GB RAM.

Can't wait!!!

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
If you have the money, go for it. I feel like it'd be 2 more years before you'd really need 16GB of RAM for those types of applications. Currently you don't need more than 8GB unless the models are very complicated.

This is the only worthy advise in this thread. Others are pretty much useless.

"If you can afford it then yes for 16gb." You will be buying a lot of useless things.

"I would say yes. If its something you can't change later on you might as well upgrade while you can" You can't change your engine in your car so are you buying the top model?

"Yep....to get the max performance now...and keep the rMBP working well over the coming years." That's not max performance because you are not using the RAM there. The RAM may work the coming years but what about CPU/GPU?

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I've originally had a bto rmbp 2.6/16/512 for 2 months before eventually returning it and ordering a base base model due to dead pixels, and ip problems. Since it was a bto model it just took way too long to get any kind of new replacements, so I settled w/ a base model so I can swap it out immediately for another one in case I had to. Now after getting used to 8gb, I wish I had 16gb.

I like os x.8.2 but one gripe is its memory management. I prefer w7's memory management over that of os x. I still have a 4-year old i7 940 OC'd pc w/ 6GB ram and 580 sli running w7 and if I try to stress it w/ Crysis 1/2 running and have ff w/ 8-10 tabs, winamp open simultaneously, it nowhere near consumes more than 4-4.5gb at any given point.

Mac safari is such a memory hog especially w/ the infamous flash add-on "safari web content" I eventually run out of free memory and if I don't reboot it on a regular basis, it will show page out and swap increment from 0 to something > 0. The design philosophy behind memory management in os x appears to be to use all of available amount until eventually run out and then to start freeing up inactive memory and others. However until then it will keep using all the free memory until it has none left at which point I see non-zero page out and swap used.

I've had my pc on for weeks and even months w/o a single reboot and it never ran out of memory. I'm satisfied w/ the 1st gen rmbp but next year when they come out w/ a haswell refresh I think I know what config I will order. It probably won't solve "running-out-of-memory" issue os x.8.2 seems to have unless they tweak their mm algorithms but at least I will reboot less often and won't have to open activity monitor every hour. :eek:

Ps: oh also I'm an instrumentation engineer and I use acad every day along w/ eplan, concept, unity, proworx, modsoft, citect, wonderware, s7/wincc pro/flex, wincc, simatic manager, rslogix and many others. While I'd say 8gb would be fine in w7, I say 16gb is the way to go for mac provided you are not going on an annual upgrade path like I do.

Last edited:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I've originally had a bto rmbp 2.6/16/512 for 2 months before eventually returning it and ordering a base base model due to dead pixels, and ip problems. Since it was a bto model it just took way too long to get any kind of new replacements, so I settled w/ a base model so I can swap it out immediately for another one in case I had to. Now after getting used to 8gb, I wish I had 16gb.

I like os x.8.2 but one gripe is its memory management. I prefer w7's memory management over that of os x. I still have a 4-year old i7 940 OC'd pc w/ 6GB ram and 580 sli running w7 and if I try to stress it w/ Crysis 1/2 running and have ff w/ 8-10 tabs, winamp open simultaneously, it nowhere near consumes more than 4-4.5gb at any given point.

Mac safari is such a memory hog especially w/ the infamous flash add-on "safari web content" I eventually run out of free memory and if I don't reboot it on a regular basis, it will show page out and swap increment from 0 to something > 0. The design philosophy behind memory management in os x appears to be to use all of available amount until eventually run out and then to start freeing up inactive memory and others. However until then it will keep using all the free memory until it has none left at which point I see non-zero page out and swap used.

I've had my pc on for weeks and even months w/o a single reboot and it never ran out of memory. I'm satisfied w/ the 1st gen rmbp but next year when they come out w/ a haswell refresh I think I know what config I will order. It probably won't solve "running-out-of-memory" issue os x.8.2 seems to have unless they tweak their mm algorithms but at least I will reboot less often and won't have to open activity monitor every hour. :eek:

Thats normal and a GOOD thing. Trust me, I've had to get it explained to me if you go to my thread. I'm coming from Windows and I know what you mean. Memory management is better on here than Windows.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Thats normal and a GOOD thing. Trust me, I've had to get it explained to me if you go to my thread. I'm coming from Windows and I know what you mean. Memory management is better on here than Windows.

Do you mind elaborating? I'd love to know why you outright claim it's better than w7 and where the credibility of your claimed sources are coming from.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Do you mind elaborating? I'd love to know why you outright claim it's better than w7 and where the credibility of your claimed sources are coming from.

I just said go to my thread. Therefore, that is my source.

Edit: I'll save you the time.

There is nothing abnormal in your screenshots. More RAM will not eliminate your (very few) page outs. This is the way OSX works.

This is what I originally thought:
Hmm good points. So I guess I would have no benefit of getting 16GB of RAM at all. I play BF3 on Bootcamp (W7) and that doesn't even go to 3.75GB of RAM haha

However, munkery explained to me how it all works:

No matter how much RAM you have you will always have a minimal amount of page outs.

When you completely close an app, it doesn't instantly get purged from RAM.

Inactive memory is still allocated but has been deemed inactive via reference counting. Before inactive memory gets reallocated, it is checked to see if it actually inactive.

If it is truly inactive, it is freed. If it is inactive but is still needed, then that inactive memory is prioritized to be written to the swap file before the other types of memory and is more likely to be associated with paging, including page outs.

The benefit of this is faster performance of apps that are commonly used but the negative side effect is a small amount of baseline paging regardless of the amount of RAM.

This makes sure that you are getting the most performance out of your RAM regardless of the number of apps that are in use. Unless very few apps are open, you will have roughly 2/3 active vs 1/3 inactive memory.

Issues can occur when an app in use has a memory leak. In these instances, leaked memory will be listed as inactive but won't be freed when checked to see if it is still needed. Once the leakage has produced a significant amount of inactive memory with very little of it being able to be freed, paging will increase.

But, this would cause more paging than what you are experiencing.

Nope, you would see the exact same thing with 16GB of RAM after a sufficient period of multitasking.

Mac OS X actually makes sure that the RAM you installed is being used instead of the RAM just creating free memory to prevent a minimal amount of paging.

Once you get how it works, it is obvious that Mac OS X memory management is much better. It actually manages the memory to put it to use.

I won't say OS X's memory mangement is better than Windows, but it is much better. This is coming from a longtime PC user and a first time Mac owner. I returned my HP Envy for a rBP, with practically equal specs and pricing. Ofc the Macbook had a better display and much thinner.

Last edited:

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I just said go to my thread. Therefore, that is my source.

I have read your thread and nowhere have I seen anything that would constitute some kind of "source". Do you know how an os works? Have you ever programmed a simple os before? Do you know c/++/#, java, perl, vba/vb, sql, db3, .net or anything of that sort? Do you know how to make memory using flip-flop and other logic gates? Do you know what a shift register is?

You need to keep your personal thoughts on a tight leash especially when you don't have the kind of background to claim such baseless things. Not trying to pick a fight or anything but it's hilarious when some kid joins a forum 3 days ago and goes on clamoring things he knows nothing about. :D

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I would if you have any bit of doubt that it won't be sufficient in the future. Future-proofing a rMBP is critical as you can't upgrade it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.