rMBP should I wait or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Subalee, May 19, 2014.

1. Subalee macrumors newbie

Hey, I already had a one topic in a different section of the forum but the answer didn't satisfy me enough and with the news from Intel's CEO I would like to get more opinions

I'm going to university in September. I have a fine laptop for my needs BUT i want to switch to Mac platform. I have been using windows all my life and I want change.

The question is should i wait or can i go ahead and get 13" rMBP? For me it's rather a matter of chip itself but even then I don't think there's that much performance improvement in Broadwell and performance is more important than battery life for me, sure 15 hours sounds great but 9 is already more than enough for me. I really don't want MBA and i certainly don'w want anything below 13" so the rumored 12" is not an option for me.

What would you guys recommend?

2. 960design macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat. My current MacBookPro 2011 is overdue for refresh. My company wants to spend the money yesterday.

Will the Broadwell chip have THAT much of a performance improvement? I've already held them off for 4 month. Should I just get the current MPBr and be done with it?

3. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Your not in a hurry, so why not wait for the WWDC? The current MBP's could go down in price and you will still have time to get used to the new operating system before school starts.

4. Subalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that is an option but does will the price drop immediately after upgraded/new macbook pro is announced (if at all)? Or does it drop when it starts to be available?

I'm not sure if I can wait till WWDC :p

5. macman312 macrumors 6502

Same with me my 15" 2011 is due to be refreshed. Like the OP I need it for school but I have a OK laptop at the moment but I need to run parallels and it is really sluggish.

I am happy to wait till WWDC but there aren't that many rumours and the chips have apparently been delayed.

I doubt they will have an event to update them. It will be done secretly at like 2am. The day or 2 before there might be rumours of shipments arriving at apple stores in advance or new codes appearing in best buy's system

6. Subalee thread starter macrumors newbie

any other inputs/recommendations? there seems to be quite few of us having the same trouble here :)

7. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you are going to university in September, and have a computer right now, I don't know why you are in a rush. However, the Broadwell processors will not be ready until September-October, so you will not see a major update before then. If you want a laptop, it can't hurt to buy one now.

Matt

8. Subalee thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the response I've been looking for, thanks :)

9. MUWarrior10 macrumors member

I just purchased my new 15" rmbp. I was going to wait until WWDC, but due to unforeseen circumstances I had to move up my purchase. The more I read about what is coming I think you will be fine to buy now.

10. willentrekin macrumors member

Late last year I picked up a refurbed first generation 15" rMBP. It's great. I liked that it had the nVidia video, instead of the Iris. I think its thin profile prevents it from feeling too bulky overall.

11. con19m31 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I need a MAC in the next two weeks, and am waiting for WWDC. If nothing gets updated that day between Mini, rMBP, iMac, I'll have to decide what to get.

I want best bang for the buck and currently lean towards a Mini with SSD and more RAM, but the portability of the rMBP is tantalizing. Most of my work will be in my home office.

I'm hoping for something new at WWDC, but the Broadwell announcement makes me think I could be disappointed. We will see.

12. Subalee thread starter macrumors newbie

I think macbook pro is always better then mac mini :) I can't imagine I would get mac mini even if portability wasn't that important to me. I think you'd be better of with iMac if you want something desktop orientated.

13. macman312 macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd get the 13 or 15" rMBP and a 27" monitor. That way you can use your computer like a desktop and if you go on holidays or a business trip you have a laptop to take.

You could also take the iMac and iPad route

14. con19m31 macrumors newbie

Agree rMBP would be optimum because I do travel a little, and also like to sit in the family room sometimes with laptop.

Want best bang for the buck and also have this desire to buy something just updated, and rMBP I assume won't be at WWDC. However, given that I've never had an SSD, I know the current rMBP with SSD and extra RAM would be awesome.

Rather spend less that what that would cost, but it would be sweet for sure.

15. macman312 macrumors 6502

There [probably] won't be a updated rMBP at WWDC because the new processors aren't coming out till september.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll cast my vote into getting one now as opposed to waiting since we'll not see anything major until Broadwell.

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Then buy one now. :rolleyes:

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm waiting...at least until WWDC. My 2009 MBP is on it's last legs as a primary computer and I'm hoping there'll be an update to the rMBP or a bigger update to the MBA sometime in the next 6 months. I'm aware the new Intel chips aren't supposed to be available until the end of the year. However, I believe in the past Apple has gotten early access to Intel chips. So there's a tiny bit of hope.

19. SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

The current rMBP are so fast, that most won't ever tap it's limits. If your studying, browsing, watching movies editing photos or simple home movies the current one is almost overkill.

if you are a professional photographer or sound designer / composer. A film editor or media professional, then wait.

If not go ahead and buy it.

Best,
    SvK