Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Hello macfolk,

While I'm still pretty satisfied with my 13 inch black 2006 Macbook, going into video-editing has made the little bugger sweat once too often. Not to mention the lack of real estate... So I'm looking into something that can actually play back full HD, as I have to edit it. :)

Needless to say, the retina Macbook Pro is something I was looking forward to. Having read much about it, I've made up my mind: It's the best investment in a present and future laptop a man make at the moment.
BUT, I almost never buy a first model of a new product. Alot of small tweaks are almost always due after analysing the user experiences on a large scale. Knowing that Haswell is making it's entry one year from now, an update will surely follow.
However I can not wait another year. Ideally I could make my purchase around september/october 2012 as I'm saving up for one as we speak. So I'm looking for some sort of compromise in the form of a silent update perhaps?

In other words, what are the odds apple will silently update, or "tweak" its current model in the next few months? Not looking for a spec bump really, just an "resolved teething issues" kind of update.

PS: I don't have any problems in mind with the current rMBP, nor am I saying there actually are. Just checking if something like this is likely to happen or not. Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In other words, what are the odds apple will silently update, or "tweak" its current model in the next few months? Not looking for a spec bump really, just an "resolved teething issues" kind of update.
Zero, I don't think apple did any "silent" update to a brand new line a couple of months of rolling it out.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Ok, good to know. Thanks maflynn.

Now it's just getting the cash together and buying the damn thing!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Also, you will drive yourself nuts trying to chase the latest and greatest. :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It is very unlikely that Intel or Nvidia will release new units soon which would justify an update. The only silent updates I can imagine are price drops on SSDs, which are veeeerryy unlikely.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Also, you will drive yourself nuts trying to chase the latest and greatest. :)

That, I am aware of. :)

The bigger the investment, the more futureproof you want your purchase to be. And as the rMBP's aren't exactly upgradeable, I definitely want one that should last me another 4-6 years, without a lof of issues on the way. That's why I'm somewhat careful with this first model.

Even though no serious problems have risen yet, it's just a rule I follow almost never to buy a first model. But it looks like I'm gonna break that rule. It'll certainly be a HUGE improvement for me personally!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.