rMBP & Sleep Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cosmicjoke, Aug 8, 2013.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

So, after my retina macbook pro sleeps for some indefinite amount of time (say overnight) in windows 8, in the morning I find that the computer is off (even when it's on the brick). I disabled hibernate, to see what effect that would have (as well as to reclaim 16gb of space) and now it wakes up, but then BSOD 5 seconds later.

Anyone have any experience with this or solutions? I don't need it to ever go into standby or hibernate, I just want it to suspend and wake. It does not have this issue with Windows 7.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

It's the nVidia HDMI audio driver. If you do a clean install of the graphics driver but de-select the audio driver component (do a custom install) this should solve this problem. If not you may need to hunt the driver down and remove it manually.

3. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, thanks for the response, I had seen that here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4872525?start=0&tstart=0

And it definitely matches up with my scenario... I actually do use hdmi audio (play a few games on TV), I wonder if that will disable it or if it will still work with some stock driver? Either way I can't try this now because I hastily decided to go back to Win7, which works just dandy.... I'll try again at 8.1 I think.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The HDMI audio output works without any specific driver installed for it. I've enclosed a screenshot of Device Manager and my audio output selector so you can see what my setup looks like.

Also, Windows Update will try to install a version of the nVidia High Definition Audio Driver- I can confirm that this also causes the problem and should not be installed.

Attached Files:

5. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm tempted to just do another install now and see. I really wish I had looked at my minidump to make sure I have the same problem though... I feel like I have one more install left in me before I just throw my rMBP out the window, lol.

6. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

So I did do a clean install of Win 8, for whatever reason this time the Bootcamp 5 drivers did not install the nvidia graphics drivers (wtf) but did install the nvidia audio driver... I deleted that, then I did my windows updates (didn't install any nvidia drivers), and then finally downloaded the nvidia drivers from the website and did a clean install of the drivers with the nvidia hdmi audio driver deselected.... And that went through and then some stupid new tool GeForce Experience turned right around and downloaded the driver... I decided to disable it in device manager for the moment, in case it decides to download it again somehow... Now I'm gonna let it sleep for a long time and see what happens I guess.

Cheers.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

If memory serves I had to delete it through Device Manager, reboot in safe modr and manually delete the driver file before it stopped coming back with each reboot. Hopefully yours won't be as much trouble.

8. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

No trouble thus far, just wanted to chime in and let you know that you were right, Nvidia's HDMI Audio driver was causing my BSOD. Thank you for the help.

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it sorted! And no problem.