rMBP Softer Aluminium than Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crisito, Jan 4, 2013.

1. crisito, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

crisito macrumors regular

I have had the 15" rMBP and now have the 13" rMBP and both have been damaged/dented easily. I don't even remember damaging the 15", I just noticed it one day while using it. On the 13" I, accidentally, very lightly tapped a glass bottle on it and it dented.

I have owned aluminium MacBook Airs and Pros in the past, and I have never damaged one of them in this way. None of them have been dented at all after a lot of daily use because I am careful with them.

It seems strange that the new rMBPs are being so easily damaged, so I wonder if softer aluminium is used on these.

Another point that I forgot to mention is that the aluminium on the rMBP feels smoother, whereas it feels more texturised on the Air. It is not a huge difference, but there does definitely seem to be a subtle difference. This also leads me to think that the material is different on these two machines.

If I could I would go back to the Air, but I just can't get used to the lower resolution after using the Retina display for months.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I haven't noticed any difference, but I've had my 13" rMBP for less than a week (I'd been using various MacBook Airs for 5 years before). It is possible that the sloping design of the Air's unibody adds some structural rigidity, but it could just be the specific circumstances of how you dented the rMBPs. Aluminum looks nice but it easily dents.

3. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: a wild guess...

Hi all,

Allow me a wild guess: the aluminum is not softer in the rMBPs than in the MBAs and uMBPs, rather the aluminum is thinner and perhaps with less structural utility in the rMBPs because of an effort to make them lighter. This means that you can dent a rMBP more easily than a MBA...just a thought.

Regards,
    Switon

4. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

5. unbelievable99 macrumors member

Yep same thing happened to me. I had something in my hand and it barely touched my rMBP 13 inch and it got a slight dent. It's barely noticeable but a dent is a dent. But I don't think it voids the warranty or anything does it?

Anyway best thing is to get a cover/protection thingy for it.

6. switon, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: smoothness....

Hi cristo,

A family member just received a new MBA, and when I "rub" my finger across the MBA compared to an older rMBP, their "smoothness" quotients are nearly indistinguishable to me. But of course, it might be that for antediluvian fingers like mine, sandpaper and glass feel nearly the same to me also.

It might be that different "lots" of aluminum have slightly different physical properties, but I would be somewhat surprised if the rMBPs actually are manufactured from an aluminum spec-ed to be softer than the MBAs, but who knows...

Regards,
    Switon

7. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: those primary partum blues...

Hi all,

I have to say that I was so happy to have received that first "dent/scratch" on my rMBP, as then I could relax and just use the machine instead of "babying" it all the time.

...same thing with the progeny, I was so glad the OB dropped our primary partum, since then I didn't have to worry about my dropping her later...

Regards,
    Switon