rMBP - speakers grill not fully drilled?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Nov 12, 2012.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just noticed in my new rMBP that some of the holes on the speakers' grill seem to be not fully/evenly drilled. I'm attaching a picture of that "issue". It's not a big deal - but where is the famous Apple quality? I don't think that it's made like this on purpose?

Attached Files:

2. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

I don't see a difference....off to get the glasses! :D

3. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Look at the left speaker. There is a rectangular "patch" at the top left corner and going down untill half of the speaker.

4. jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

Yeah from your pictures I can see what you mean, like you say not a big issue at all but for a super high quality machine its a bit "Meh"

Lets just call it unique! :) :cool:

5. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, sound seems to be okay and I think they are not even completely 'filled', just not nicely cleaned after drilling ;) When you look at them from a straight angle - you can't really see any difference.

6. Onexy macrumors member

Onexy

Thats definitely not how it should look like. I would exchange it at the next Apple Store.

Attached Files:

7. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Well its not that easy - I'm passed my "Return window" so at best I could probably ask for a repair/case replacement. Besides I got a Samsung screen and that's something you don't get so often lately...

8. Onexy macrumors member

Onexy

I don't know how it works in your country and what the return window would be. First thing to do is to check if the hardware is flawless.

Is the sound affected?

9. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so, seems fine. I don't think that those little hopes have really much impact on the sound quality. It's hard to compare if I don't have another unit, but I don't hear anything wrong with it.

10. Onexy macrumors member

Onexy

They can, when I cover the upper third of the grills the stage is worse (sound seems to come more from the center of the MacBook).

11. nightsky971 macrumors member

nightsky971

Mine looks exactly the same way. You have to look at an angle to notice it. Not sure what's going on here but the sound is not impacted.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

No impact on sound.

Plus less stuff can fall into the holes now that there aren't as many holes for stuff to fall into. I'd personally like my holes to look more like star burst pattern. (Stops talking about her holes).

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Can u folks at least post whether you are talking about the 13" or the 15"?

Thanks, would be helpful to the rest of us.

14. Macral macrumors member

It's the 15". The 13" doesn't have speaker grills.

Maybe it's for the dual microphone.

15. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

I would get them to sort that! Mine are all drilled through.

16. Uzinusa macrumors newbie

They are fully drilled, you'll see this pattern with an angled view and I understand what you're seeing are components underneath. Don't worry.

17. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

That might be it- in general, when looking directly from above, all looks normal...I don't think I will worry about it.

18. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Return and get a new one!!!!

19. mrkjeezy macrumors member

mine looks exactly like that if u look at it in a angle, its normal..

20. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

This is how it is supposed to look on the 15" RMBP's

21. Onexy macrumors member

Onexy

I can't get mine to look like this under any angle.

22. Hpye macrumors 6502

Mine is drilled perfectly, you should exchange it

----------

what kid of keyboard do you have, it looks weird

23. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: those holes and reflections...

Hi all,

I noticed what appears to be the same pattern as shown in the photos, but found that for me it depends upon the angle, and especially the lighting angle, from which it is viewed. I chalked it up to a potential reflection from something underneath the speaker holes, since at certain combinations of viewing angles and lighting conditions it is not visible to my eyes. What do you think? I see that Usinusa proposes essentially the same thing.

Switon

P.S. I haven't opened the case to ascertain if indeed it could be a reflection or not, but then I also haven't "heard" any problems stemming from this occasional visual effect so I haven't been concerned. It is an aluminum case and thus has a tendency to be reflective after all. I'm also not sure these holes are "drilled" with a physical drill bit, rather I suspect that a laser might be involved and thus the holes are not actually "cleaned" after "drilling", although maybe laser drilling is only used for even smaller holes? Does anyone know how these speaker holes are drilled?

24. Uzinusa macrumors newbie

They're generated by laser. On this case. Mech drilling is just not good enough to produce an array like this. There would be burrs etc ripping the rather thing Al speaker panel. As said what you're seeing is the insides of the rmbp.

25. Onexy macrumors member

Onexy

German layout