rMBP Squeaky/Creaky noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flight24, Nov 5, 2013.

1. flight24 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone just received my new 2013 15 inch retina MBP. This is the base model. One thing I noticed immediately is the squeaky noise I put my hands on the chassis.

Here's the video I uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLZLTut3UM

Make sure to have the volume all the way up.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

3. unimac macrumors member

Yep. It's a common issue as Tropp stated. Excellent that you have a video showing just how audible and annoying it is.. IMO, it made it unusable and quite an annoying experience. Not what you expect out of a ~$3000 laptop. QA is blowing chunks at apple right now. Given that systems are BTO, and you still have this issue makes me sincerely believe Apple hasn't yet registered this/isn't checking for this glaring blunder.

4. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest it's annoying, but the video makes it more louder than it is. Also, the noise isn't 100% replicable. It has to do with how you position your hand on the chassis. Nonetheless it's an issue, something that my 2011 MBA doesn't have (it does have very little creaks at times, but nothing compared to this).

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Return it. I deal with 15'' rMBP's on a regular basis, the amount of creak yours has is abnormal... and most 15'' rMBP do not produce creaking near the palm rest areas. Majority of creaking is on the bottom of the base (if there is creaking, that is).

6. unimac macrumors member

The noise for my mbp was louder and more widespread across the notebook... Noise level varies across the people who have this issue.. It was unbearable enough that I returned my mbp after giving them 2 shots at fixing it. I'll wait a while before I re-order when apple has their QA improved.

7. Shmanky macrumors regular

I strongly recommend returning it. I brought in my mid-2012 for creaking and they worked on it twice and it still creaks. You can't expect that the Genius Bar will fix it for you—they didn't fix it for me.

8. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm thinking about returning it, but I got a good screen (Samsung)...worried about getting LG next.

I bought it from B&H to save on cali tax, do you think Apple will replace it? Or do I have to return it back to B&H.

9. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Apple won't replace it. Apple only replaces items purchased directly through them. You'll have to return it. Best Apple will do for you is unscrew the bottom then re-screw it together in hopes to fix the issue.

10. flight24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...thanks. I guess I will take it to apple first and see if it's a quick fix.