rMBP ssd burns out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSabifi, Nov 22, 2012.

1. iSabifi macrumors member

iSabifi

I was told by my uncle that when you download stuff all the time, and keep shutting off and turning on your macbook with a SSD, it will eventually burn out! Is this true?

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If by "Eventually", you mean in 20 years or so, then yes.

3. Mdwall macrumors member

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Flash memory has a limited number of write cycles. Load leveling is a method SSD manufacturers use to even out where data is written so one section of the drive doesn't wear out first due to excessive use.

Anyway, even under extremely heavy use it would probably take 6 or 7 years before it started having issues.

5. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

6. iSabifi, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

iSabifi thread starter macrumors member

iSabifi

Wait so you are saying if I import some photos from my camera to iPhoto & I move them to my external, it will burn out the SSD? So what if I moved the location of the iPhoto library from photos to my external, would that mean I wouldn't have to move anything and the photos would never be on the SSD because the iPhoto library will be on a external?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

We're talking in the oder of several years (think 5 to 10 years) of heavy use before you start seeing issues. By then most mobile phones will be more powerful than your machine, and you'll be looking to upgrade.

Use the computer, don't worry, be happy.

8. ethereal45 macrumors regular

9. noodile macrumors regular

but yeah definetly don't worry about it like everyone said. chances are if you're using your machine that heavily is that you SSD will outlast your actual computer.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Usage patterns aside. With the exception of those users that have done copius amounts of research, there's going to be one very large group of surprised SSD owners at some point not that far into the future.

11. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Not to overload you with reading materials but this article, 10 Reasons Why SSDs Are Better Than Mechanical Drives, in ServerWatch answers your question.

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

You're thinking too much. If what he said was true, imagine the uproar we'd hear.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want to worry about a storage device.....do that for any mechanical spinning disk.