rMBP SSD vs MBA SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gizmo22, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Currently I have a 256GB rMBP from 2012 while my wife prefers her 128GB MBA from 2011.

That said, she is running out of storage requiring me to constantly move photos from her computer to an external. I would estimate she takes ~10-15 GB of photos and video on her phone each month, even if most are duplicates.

While she could be fine some of the photos, I would like to bump up the storage a bit. I am curious if the rMBP SSD would fit and function in a MBA?

I have no concerns with the process of the swap, but would like to avoid moving data back and forth.

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

3. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Thanks! Was hoping to justify buying a 480 for myself, and pass the 256 down to the wife. May be time to look for a 2012 MBA with 256 now though.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The are also devices like the Nifty Minidrive that lets you put a MicroSD into your Mac with nothing sticking out. This can give you a 64GB boost for only around ~$50.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Holy slowness, Batman. The Nifty isn't a bad idea for a product, but I'd never recommend using a microSD card as a replacement for an SSD or even an HDD.

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

This is an awesome product! Thanks for sharing. While not a hard drive replacement, definitely better than external storage options. Not for capacity of course, because of convenience.