rMBP SSD vs MBA SSD

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
Currently I have a 256GB rMBP from 2012 while my wife prefers her 128GB MBA from 2011.

That said, she is running out of storage requiring me to constantly move photos from her computer to an external. I would estimate she takes ~10-15 GB of photos and video on her phone each month, even if most are duplicates.

While she could be fine some of the photos, I would like to bump up the storage a bit. I am curious if the rMBP SSD would fit and function in a MBA?

I have no concerns with the process of the swap, but would like to avoid moving data back and forth.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The are also devices like the Nifty Minidrive that lets you put a MicroSD into your Mac with nothing sticking out. This can give you a 64GB boost for only around ~$50.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
The are also devices like the Nifty Minidrive that lets you put a MicroSD into your Mac with nothing sticking out. This can give you a 64GB boost for only around ~$50.
Holy slowness, Batman. The Nifty isn't a bad idea for a product, but I'd never recommend using a microSD card as a replacement for an SSD or even an HDD.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Holy slowness, Batman. The Nifty isn't a bad idea for a product, but I'd never recommend using a microSD card as a replacement for an SSD or even an HDD.
This is an awesome product! Thanks for sharing. While not a hard drive replacement, definitely better than external storage options. Not for capacity of course, because of convenience.