rMBP: Static sound when keyboard light is on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Sep 28, 2013.

1. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Does it happen with your rMBP? Mine is a mid-2012 15" model.. the room has to be completely silent. As soon as I turn on the keyboard backlight, a static sound starts.. it sounds just like white noise. Does this happen with yours? I have this laptop since almost launch day and never noticed that.. fact is, I almost never used the keyboard backlight either so I don't know if it was always there or not.

Try to get close to the keyboard with your ear if you don't hear it at first.

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

My first guess is the LED is creating some electrical hum. I've seen similar cases.

3. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Yes, it really sounds like electricity. As soon as I turn the backlight off, the sound stops as well. Not immediately but like 0.1 seconds later.

Should I worry?

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well you should have the genius bar look at it, just to see if something is wrong, at the same time they do their tests so if they find something may fail they replace it provided you have apple care.

5. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I don't have Apple Care but, here in Portugal, warranty lasts two years. Issue is, there are no Apple Stores in here so all I can do is wait for Christmas when I'm going to London and visit the Genius Bar over there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Matacarvalho macrumors member

Mas tens a istore que te garante o arranjo do computador desde que consigas reproduzir o problema e estejas no período de garantia.

7. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I did not know about that. Maybe I'll go to the iStore and see what they have to say. Not a really good time to be without the MBP and the issue is not affecting anything.. I just worry that it's something that may develop into a real issue later.

Btw, rules specify that you should write in English and that's why I'm replying in English ;)

Thank you!