rMBP - Stop Trolling, got $$? - Go Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by molingrad, Jun 20, 2012.

1. molingrad macrumors member

This being my first post on the forum I expect to get flamed so be it.

I've been dealing with a 2009 Mac Mini for a while now. With the economy in the ******* I decided to head back to Graduate school for a degree in digital media. Needless to say Pro Tools and Adobe CS were taxing my system.

I knew a new MBP was coming out within the year of starting classes so I waited until a big release. That came with the Retina MBP.

I hesitated and waited to order until last week. Got the base w/ 16gb, amazingly its in my hands today (don't know why I got fast shipping, was told it wouldn't come until the second week in July)

Anyway the point of this thread/post is to say:

This is a great computer. The screen IS amazing, I've compared it in "best for retina" mode to my girlfriends 2011 MBA and the pixelation is noticeable. Very similar experience to seeing the iPad 3 v iPad 2.

To all of you bitching about jaggies and pixelation with images I think your overreacting. Its a minor inconvenience for everything else to look insanely smoother. It's really not that noticeable.

For all of you bitching about the price, shut up already. YES it IS expensive. But what if you've saved for a year with this major revision in mind? What if you actually NEED the extra computing power of a top end laptop? And what if you happen to find yourself in the only field (digital media - graphic, sound, UI design) where a mac is the industry standard? The rMBP is the logical choice.

I wanted to make this post to calm the nerves of anyone else out there who might be hesitating to buy the new MBP because of all the **** talking on this forum.

In short, let the haters hate. Its a great computer. You won't regret it. Go buy it.

Let the flaming begin. Or slow thread death.. :D

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Word. Macrumors users are not representative of the general population. There's quite a bit of OCD and paranoia going around here :D

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Sold!

Of course, one condition: You have to back that guarantee. If I do, in fact, regret it, you refund my money.

Note: I can already tell you I'd regret it. I have gone and looked at the machine in the store, and the glare on that display would be totally unacceptable for me. Also I have a large amount of music equipment, which means I still actively use Firewire and Ethernet. I could probably get thunderbolt adapters for both of those, but I haven't actually seen the firewire ones anywhere, or I could get the even glossier 27" thunderbolt display, which has even worse glare problems.

I guess I'm not really seeing the point of a post in which you smugly and insultingly declare that anyone who doesn't have exactly your tastes and preferences is "trolling". Are you aware that the other people in the world are sometimes different from you?

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I think you need to figure out what trolling actually means. It's not people having useful conversations about what the retina MBP can and can't do. Your post comes closer to trolling than any of that.

If the computer is what you want, and that's great. There's nothing wrong with other people having reservations about it. It's a new machine, by no means an industry standard, and that's going to cause a lot of conversation and concern. At this point, it's definitely not the computer for everyone. Let people talk, let them learn...quit trying to act like you're the authority on this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

5. molingrad thread starter macrumors member

You missed the point. Also no trolling in these forums? All positive conversations that contribute to the conversation?

I don't claim to be an authority. The point of the post was to say to people who are experience cognitive dissonance aka buyers remorse about their very expensive purchase located somewhere in the pacific ocean en route to their home to chill out and stop listening to the "rMPB is *****" on this board.* You probably made the right choice, if your looking up information on your purchase then you probably are a smart consumer.

*(Not all of them of course, there have been some great threads here regarding the subject and its been great to read the discourse)

Also I'm not RAH RAH! Go rMBP!

If your not in content creation it's probably best not to spend extra $$$ on a laptop with power you won't ever use. For example if all you do is Facebook and boot up MS Word get a Macbook Air.

6. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

You should have stayed a newbie, with that post of yours.

I bought one and returned it within a week based upon third party support has yet to catch up to the retina display.

My work depends upon me being able to render properly and knowing how it will turn out. Had nothing to do with any posts on here. Zero.

Did that ever occur to you? People are making up their own minds about the RMBP. Will I buy one again, yes of coarse. When third party support is bigger than it is now. Will I be happy with the one I have now, yes I will. Will I be happy if I buy a 2012 non-retina, yes I will.

Not everyone has your same uses and opinions. That is not trolling, what you are doing is. Accusing people of ******* talking(your exact words) when it is in fact stating their opinions is not something I would put in my first post on this forum. That is bad taste, as well as bad manners.

You newbie's kill me. :rolleyes:

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

No, the point of the post was to insult anyone who makes a reasoned decision that they do not want to buy a retina MBP. That's what you did. You assured us all that no one who was not stupid would dislike the MBP.

Which makes it sound like you're having buyer's remorse, not because of things people are saying on the forums, but because it's a pretty expensive machine and there are a lot of things that people might want out of a macbook pro which the Retina can't do.

To put it in perspective, if that same $2800 price got a 15" 1920x1200 antiglare IPS display, I'd probably already have one.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Agreed

9. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

Mollingrad,

Thanks for your post....I'm waiting for my loaded rMBP and was wondering how Pro Tools is working on the new MBP. I have been very impressed with Pro Tools performance on MBPs in general but since the release of ProTools 10...It seems that a bit more beef is needed....I'm hoping the Thunderbolt connections will make Pro Tools run perfectly.

Have you had a chance to use Pro Tools on the new MBP? Tell us about the performance and which version of PT that you have.

I can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks.

10. willjbryan macrumors newbie

It's a phenomenal machine - well better than anything else I've ever used. Strongly prefer the native 2880x1800 mode to the scaled 4x pixel mode though.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Come back in 6 months when you're drive is bursting at the seams because of all that digital media on board.

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

And ya can't swap a second drive into the optibay :)

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

There is some very good constructive feedback on these forums in relation to the MBPr.

Some of the most constructive ***** feedback you are referring to is from actual pro users, ones that make a living out of it.

In short you come across as a Starbucks poser, perfect laptop for you, image is everything! Let the big boys "discuss" the impact of the retina on users who make a living out of it.

Interesting how you say its perfect for content creation, so how about some constructive feedback about how you are limited to 758GB storage (which you can double on a non retina with the removal of the superdrive), the need to then carry an additional HDD, the need to carry adapters, depending if you need FW, Ethernet, video out.... suddenly the new form factor is not so great.

As pros get the retina, they will evaluate it, some will accept it, others will go back to the non retina, this is not bitching.... this is getting the right tool for the job.

Ones man's trash is another man's treasure!

14. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I didn't miss the point at all. I just don't agree with the point you seem to be trying to make, or the way you tried to make it. You sound like you're speaking down to everyone, and there's really no need for that.

People tend to be wowed by the newest thing that comes out, especially when it has to do with Apple. It's the newest, greatest, so everyone wants to jump onboard. Then people start reading reviews of others who actually have them in hand, thinking about how the retina display might actually affect them and the work they produce, and they have second thoughts. There's nothing wrong with that. That's one of the reasons Apple has a return period...so people can try things and see if they've chosen the right product for their needs.

I'm not saying that it's not a fabulous computer. I'm not even saying that it's not where Apple's MBP line is headed in the future. But right now, it's basically in a class by itself. In some ways that's good, and in others it's bad. For people in photography, graphic design and other visual mediums, there's a lot more to think about than just how good the screen looks. So while it might be the perfect computer for you and you feel others should jump in and buy one, people that depend on it to make a living have more important points to consider. Sure, there's plenty of trolling around here. But the people talking about the ramifications of the retina MBP generally aren't trolling. Trying to stifle that kind of conversation isn't useful; in fact, I'd say it's detrimental.

15. MDFang macrumors member

That's where I sort of stopped reading.
    This all depends on your field. For example, web designers who are on the go and have a rMBP can't check if their designs are looking good on regular screens as well, since the retina screen doesn't display it _exactly_ as it'd appear on a normal screen. This may be overlooked by most, but for pixel-perfect design it can be a major issue.

But eh, if it fits your needs and you don't mind bleeding edge tech, go ahead and get it. Seems like a great machine, even though I haven't laid my hands on it yet.

16. doh123 macrumors 65816

I like the full mode too!

if you need a bit of extra space to store a few things, you could just like pop in a $55 64GB SDXC card... or its like $160ish for a 128GB.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd say 90% of users don't "need" the power of even a base 15" MBP to check their email and do facebook, but I am in agreement that you shouldn't overpay for a product that you don't really have a use for just because it's the "best" out there.

18. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I agree, but now there are some USB3 flash drives that are very tempting.

I'm considering a 64GB Kingston HyperX DataTraveler.

It has decent capacity, SSD like speed, and much easier to bring with me than an external drive.

19. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

It's not trolling to say that the RMBP is not suited to all tastes.

The OP *is* trolling, however.

20. nishioka macrumors member

:eek: Holy crap. Maybe I'll get lucky too. Not supposed to get mine until at least the 12th.

21. molingrad thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you. (except me being a Starbucks fan- $5 for a coffee?! No thanks). I do appreciate the threads from pros who have commented on the display that's one of the reasons I held off. Also 256GB is a small storage capacity. I'm less worried about that with USB 3 though. On the others I guess your SOL with FireWire looks like that's on it's way out... On Ethernet the adapter sucks but wifi is fast now and nearly ubiquitous so I don't see it being a problem.

Perhaps I didn't state my point clearly. Again there is a lot of great information here about the machine but it seems to get drowned out by naysayers and the usual group of people who love to bitch about new things. I would also say that I'm in a trial period too. I've yet to install CS6. With this laptop though even if I go past the return length I can sell it and probably get all my money back with the shortage. Again point being if you were strongly considering it or are awaiting for it to arrive relax and take the plunge. Don't let all the nonsense comments dissuade you.

22. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Ya think? (Especially for what you do).

Yep. Soon we'll all need U-Hauls to carry our external storage, DVD drives and TB adapters. Makes sense for the MBAir... not a big-assed pro machine though.

You're confusing "New" with forced change. New is ok as long as there's another option. (And yes, there still is an option but not for very long).

You know, I really don't think there would be as much bitching about all the spec "changes" if Apple would still allow people to go inside and at least upgrade to 3rd party flash memory without voiding a warranty. (The soldered RAM I can live with). I can't think of a more important component in a laptop than storage. If they wouldn't have adopted all this "hands off" crap then I do believe a lot of folks would simmer down. Like I said, this philosophy works for the email-checking, web-surfing "Air" crowd but not for many pros.

You sound like an Amazon reviewer. You rate something 5 stars just because it showed up and tell everything to buy the product but you haven't really used it yet. :)

Glad you like it though. That's the main thing.

23. molingrad thread starter macrumors member

Kind of a different product than say an old otterbox case that takes time to fall apart. Also it being a Mac I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to get. So far quite please with speed and screen don't think I would send it back over anything. I would consider it a trial because there is no risk to me financially with this thing.

I miss forums :(

256 is plenty to work with until you get back to your external storage. Not for HD video processing but I'm curios how much of that you do on a train.

Shazaam

24. leenak macrumors 68020

I found Amazon reviewers tend to rate something they haven't bought :)

I like my rMBP, it is a bit of a change from my previous computers. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone though.

25. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Or better yet, those reviewing shills for the company that make the product. :)

The point isn't working on that train... it's all that external storage you have to bring with you so you can use it after you arrive at your destination.

If somebody can explain to me how Apple's decision to "close off" the MBP benefits you then I'll listen. Otherwise, I really can't understand why folks (apologists?) are even defending this.

It's one thing to say, "It's all moot. That's just the way it is" (which is kind of obvious) but to imply 256GB of "fixed" storage is all anyone would every need inside their machine is like saying my pants with a 34" waist line would be just as functional without spandex.