rMBP - strange high pitched noise from power area?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I noticed today that my new rMBP is emitting some strange high pitched noise, especially when doing heavy files operations like spotlight indexing or startup of the computer. It's louder and more prominent when I connect the AC adapter. It sounds like some power interference, a bit like some broken chargers do or Iphone 4s when transmitting 3G data.

It's not very loud but I can hear it clearly, when sitting in a silent room, even without closing my ear to the Macbook.

Has anybody noticed that or can advise something? Is that normal with those machines or some issue that has to be fixed? I really don't want to return it, as it is perfect otherwise...

Thanks in advance for feedback.

2. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Could be a bad voltage regulator or bad cap in the PS circuit, I would have it checked. Does it only do this when charging?

4. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

It happens on both with power and on battery. I think with power plugged it's a bit louder, more noticeable, but again only during file operations like spotlight indexing, disk permissions or sliding through a big video file in VLC...

5. justperry, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

When you do heavy lifting on the system it needs more current, more current goes through the board, as the other one said, it could be a bad cap or the like or a voltage regulator.
    I would recommend to wait it out a few days, if it annoys you like hell I would go back and service it, if it's only that board you will get back the same machine so I wouldn't worry too much about getting a different one.

[​IMG]

6. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

the picture posted, what is that part called? I'm hoping to get that part replaced because the whining noise is still there even after replacing the fans. And I think it's coming from the same area..