RMBP Strange Ticking Noise - Edit: Power Supply Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiznet, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wiznet, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

wiznet macrumors regular

Hey guys - I've just noticed my Macbook making a very strange noise every few seconds. It sounds like a muffled mouse-click almost, and is very, very annoying. It's not very loud; but it doesn't need to be loud due to the nature of the sound.

Has anybody else experienced this? Or know what's causing it? I looked it up online, and I really don't want to take this thing apart.

---------

Edit: As my power supply and computer are literally two inches away from each other, I had incorrectly assumed it was the Macbook making this sound. It is the power supply; only when charging the Macbook. Sorry for the mis-post.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Something in the fan? some people have companied of creaking cases, but this is news to me.

3. wiznet thread starter macrumors regular

No idea - but interestingly enough, through experimentation I've discovered the issue is only present whilst the Macbook is plugged into a power supply. It is fine on battery.

4. 725032 Guest

Oh no, more rMBP problems!

Mine creaked a lot... This sounds like a power issue though

5. wiznet thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this isn't creaking.

My power supply and MB are right beside each other. If the power supply ticking, is that a concern safety-wise?

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

So move your computer further away from the power and find out what is ticking, one could be more serious than the other.

7. 725032 Guest

I would go to an apple store asap

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Have you tried the power supply on another outlet? In a different building? I could see poor wiring or low voltage causing the power supply to hum or buzz(maybe tick? I've just never heard one do that.)

Otherwise, contact Applecare or take it into a store to exchange the power supply.

9. coloboxp macrumors newbie

Im experiencing weird issues too,

On my rMBP i hear sometimes fan-like noises, particularly when its connected to the power supply, before i tough the problem was i put the rMBP over the iPad and it was pushing the fan, but now its over a flat surface and the noise is still there; Perhaps it has to be somehow with the charge of the battery, i believe when the battery has 1-10% power there is the noise, then not...

Also i noticed few days ago, that if i have my mobile connected to the electricity and i open the camera i could see many times purple color on the screen, please check two sample images over here (ATTACHED) . Those are screenshots i could catch, those effects are not seen if the mobile is disconnected.

Im suspecting it has to be something about the electricity quality in this place, I'm right now (for christmas and new year) in a small village in the centre-left of Slovakia and i haven't noticed this issues at home in the capital.

Any tough?

Attached Files:

10. krravi macrumors 65816

I hate to say so..

I wonder if your battery is expanding when charging...they all get a little warm during charging but not to the point of stressing their enclosure.

Considering that the battery in the rMBP is glued to the upper enclosure of the laptop, i would not be surprised.