rMBP suddenly not connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangezorki, Jul 23, 2014.

1. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I've been using my rMBP for about 9 months with a sky fibre wifi router. No problems until the past few days - it now rarely connects and is sometimes thrown off without warning.

Nothing has really changed - same position, and my iPhone works with the router fine, so I guess the problem is with the rMBP.

Any ideas?

David

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Interference from another network on the same channel?

3. orangezorki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Thanks for answering. As is the case with the law of sod, everything started working again a few minutes after posting the post, but I'm not sure it will continue like this.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you - possibly another new router nearby that isn't on all the time. Or possibly a recent reset changing the channel to one that clashes with more wireless devices around me. Not sure that it wouldn't affect my iPhone though....

David

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I knew you would think that about the iPhone, each individual wireless device is different. Different antennae placement (even between different identical devices unless they are lying in the same orientation). Also the WiFi signal will not be uniform, it will vary around a room as well as a building, large effects/issues around large objects, especially metal (e.g. a fridge), any other WiFi networks will overlay yours in a variable way meaning the wireless environment the device is in can vary even by moving it a few inches or turning it around etc - loads of variables at play.