rMBP Swap Story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shadow%20Mac, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

As many of you know, just released a minor spec bump to the 15" and 17" rMBP -- dropping the price of the 13" model and adding higher clocked versions of Intel's Ive Bridge processors.

While these differences are negligible, people who purchased the higher end model of the 15" rMBP (2.6, 512, 8GB) would now receive 16GB of ram. For the same price! 16GB is now standard on 15" rMBP.

Even though my laptop was outside of the 14 day return period, I thought I'd take my mac to the Apple Store and express my frustration -- I had purchased it just 24 days ago. They replaced my laptop with the newer higher end version! Though the CPU difference is negligible, the 16GB of ram is way more bang for the buck -- especially for a 2800 dollar laptop.

This is why I love Apple so much -- their customer is service has been and continues to be phenomenal.

Just thought I'd share. Any one else thinking of swapping out?

2. ryanrhod macrumors member

I was able to do the same thing! I had bought a base 13" rmbp also between three and four weeks ago from the refurb store. I was initially trying to get a price match, and was repeatedly denied, but then was offered the opportunity to get a return exception and allowed to buy it again.

So I sprung for the i7 model with a 512GB SSD, which after the price cuts, plus being on the refurb store, was only a few hundred more than what I originally paid. I'm pumped, it should be here tomorrow.

3. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

When you say "swap out", are they just handing you the newer configured rMBP or are they allowing you to basically return everything (power cord, box, etc) and are giving you a brand new shrink wrapped rMBP in original retail packaging?

4. Shadow%20Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Returned entire computer (box, power cord, documentation, etc.), for a brand new, shrink wrapped, Early 2013 retina 15" rMBP.

5. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Nice, judging by your signature, that is pretty close to a perfect Mac that can handle anything. 15" rMBP, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB SSD. Enjoy:D

PS - With a very lightweight and gorgeous rMBP along with an iPhone 5, doesn't your iPad just feel like an expensive "tweener" luxury device that you could totally live without?:confused:

6. Shadow%20Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

It totally does. Being a broke college student, the iPad and the Laptop were both gifts from people. It certainly has its uses, but it is definitely a superfluous part of my workflow

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

When did they start making a 17" retina ?

8. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Heh, we have the same exact Apple stuff except I have the 2012 mid-range rMBP (check my sig), and it does feel like the iPad is the odd man out. Personaly I feel I'd get much more use out of an iPad Mini (the rMBP can pretty much do anything the full size iPad can do in those lounge-y situations), but I'm waiting for the Retina version to come out. I might as well box my iPad up until I can sell it at this point.

9. PurpleShaman macrumors member

swapped mine in today. definitely excited about the 16G of RAM. also, do any of u guys feel that this new 2013 model gets a bit warm or is it just me??

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Give it a day for the thermal bonding to set.

Mine seems to run warmer but the fan doesn't kick in more. It's only got a day of use on it though.