rMBP Synology NAS v 512 Upgrade (Please Help!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. PS65 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #1
    Guys, I really need some help on this.

    Just about to receive my rMBP. No issues until Apple decided to offer a 512GB SSD option on the base model.

    I was planning on buying a Synology DSJ212+ for my solution to store music, photos and videos. I also like the idea of download manager and the fact you can easily stick 6tb if needs be.

    Couple of questions:

    1. How quick is this thing for accessing externally, assuming I have a reasonably good internet connection (say, 300kbs upload/500kbs download)?

    2. Can you host your iTunes music off it and listen to it externally (ie. not on local network)?

    3. Are there any restrictions when accessing outside your local network?

    4. Can you save files to it easily - eg. just sale a Pages files through the Save As panel?

    5. Should I forget all of this, cancel my order and re-order a 512GB SSD v a 2gb Synology?

    I am so confused!
     
  2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    #2
    Hello. I just bought a DS411.

    1) You shouldn't have any problems listening to music with that kind of connection. You could probably stream video too. The DS212 will be able to max out your internet connection, at any rate.

    2) I know my DS411 doesn't have any way to connect directly to a computer. The OS on the thing (DSM) isn't set up to work as an external drive. The 212 may be different.

    3) The only restrictions are those you impose via your firewall & user privileges.

    4) Yes, when networked, the Synology will show up in the "Shared Items" section of Finder's Sidebar. Just a few clicks away.

    5) Including HDDs I have $850 in the Synology, but with that $850 I have 5.5 TB of redundant storage. Is the SSD worth it for you? I get by with a 64/265GB SSD combo myself, and it's not full...realistically I can do everything I want to do with just 256GB.


    I'll warn you, I marinated on my decision for a month, and you should weigh your options carefully too.

     
  3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    #3
    I was in the same boat and I decided to go with the 512 then save up for a NAS and have both.
     
  4. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4


    Guys, thank you both. I've chosen to return my 256GB SSD and upgrade to the 512GB SSD. The Apple sales rep made a brilliant comment "It sounds as though you're concerned about speed, and no matter what you do - internal SSD is always going to be faster than any form of NAS"

    I think I will still buy a NAS in the future, but as you say, it's something I can do at anytime - upgrading the SSD today (at the present time) isn't!
     

Share This Page