rMBP + TB Display Color Synchronization

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appletechpro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. appletechpro, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

appletechpro macrumors regular

Just got my rMBP today, and I love the screen but the color profiles are extremely different on both the laptop (Color LCD) and my display (Thunderbolt Display profile). When I switch the profile to Color LCD on my display, it looks terrible and nothing like the rMBP.

Any tips on getting these looking decent together?

Also, if anyone could tell me how to set the display resolution (without third part program) to the full 2880x1800 I'd appreciate it. I find it kind of ridiculous that I can't select 2880x1800 in System Preferences.

EDIT: Found out the answer to the 2880x1800 thing, but the color discrepancy is still slightly annoying.

2. bruzzac macrumors newbie

Morning,

I was having the same thoughts as you. My TB display seems slightly 'green' when compared to my MBPr, which can be a little off putting! Did you have any luck with the calibration of the TB display's colour profile? If so, may I grab a copy?

3. thekev, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is a misunderstanding of how profiles work, and I'm not perfect at explaining this to others. That profile is providing certain information about the display's color gamut to give some idea of its overall behavior. It allows for some level of compensatory changes that aren't nearly as robust as some people on here would like to believe. In terms of what you're doing there, you're telling the computer that the native hardware response of the thunderbolt display is comparable to the theoretical display behavior described by Colorlcd. My suggestion would be profiling both via a recent model colorimeter. I say recent model because colorimeters are very limited. Only the really recent ones are balanced and tested as a good compromise relative to what is available with led backlighting and gamuts targeted at Adobe RGB. I'd say to look at one of these.

X-rite's software can be annoying, but I've had better luck with their hardware. You can look at an i1 display pro, but assuming you're not trying to use any hardware LUT features or anything of that sort (not available on either of these displays) it may be a waste of money. I'm not sure how much more limited the colormunki display software is, but this isn't the cheap spectrophotometer version. A few people favor spectrophotometers for matching things, but a good one will cost you over a grand. Keep in mind there's no guarantee of a perfect match. Assuming you choose a normal target for both, you can get them close, especially in color managed applications. Otherwise you have absolutely no basis as they're different displays. Even different units can look a bit different.

Spyder4

Colormunki display colorimeter

If you don't want to spend anything, you can try just doing tweaks via the available software options that are built in. Just don't overwrite your base profiles if you do this (Edit: the problem with this method is that it often creates more problems than it solves given how easy it is to break profiles, I mentioned not to overwrite the generic ones so that you have no issues comparing or switching back if the new one turns out to be worse). Some others on here may also provide you with profiles they've calibrated on their own displays via one of these devices. While that isn't perfect and all displays do shift over time, it may give you more pleasing results than the default settings.