RMBP-tested in store-ohhh....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Jun 24, 2012.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

Today I've tested RMBP for some good time in store. Man, I love this machine!!!! I absolutely don't care if ram is soldered to it, I'm gonna get 16gb anyway, and I'm not planning to use it for the next 10 years, so low repair-ability is not an issue for me. And the screen is AMAZING! What a nice color gamma and sharpness! Yes, this is the best looking screen so far!
    BUT......
    When scrolling in safari, what's that???? Everything jumps!!! :eek: I mean, if you have some text to read and you have to scroll down, you may loose the spot where you reading because it's not smooth at all! I literally lost the place where I was in a text because of it. I was shocked to experience it. I read in many threads about this problem, and thought it's an exaggeration. But unfortunately NO, it is real...and I'm not liking it at all. For instant comparison I went to older MBP that was in store and opened exact same page with text, and no it's not the same, glides like a butter! Man, how could that be possible, with that powerful processor and being latest technology? I mean it's jumping, not scrolling.
    I hope that it will be fixed with ML!!!! Please Apple!!!! I really want that new computer and I really love it. Believe me, after looking at retina screen you don't want to look at any non-retina!!!! The difference is huge in how nice and crisp everything looks, it's A whole new experience!!!
    And I really don't care about a slight lag when opening full screen and back, it's fine, yes not as smooth as older but nothing wrong with that. But for reading a text it is not ok, that jumpiness is not normal at all....
    You guys think really ML is a solution? Retina craves for ML???

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

According to Anandtech's review, Safari in Mountain Lion will use a lot more GPU acceleration which should help.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

ML improves it, but doesn't fully fix it. Read the anandtech review.

Safari is the least of my concerns and also for most people, seeing as barely any desktop users actually use it.

4. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

You've basically described what eveybody is reporting on this forum: A) The screen is gorgeous, and B) the scroll performance is faulty.

5. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Does this happen when its using the NVIDIA graphics chip or when it's using the Intel HD 4000 chip?

6. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, if ML doesn't fully fix it, then I'm starting to think that selling my perfect 2011 MBP was a mistake, maybe I should have kept it till all these issues are gone.:cool: Who knew it's gonna have this really unpredictable behavior??? :(

7. muzzle79 macrumors newbie

I've been using the Canary Chrome build and haven't had any scrolling issues. There are the occasional flash hiccups (mostly when switching full screen), otherwise i've not had any issues.

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs

8. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I've actually tried this out. I doesn't lag AS BAD. But still does.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

So the weird thing is, the scroll lag is barely noticeable to me. I'm wondering, are the systems not updated for some reason? It just seems odd to me that the lag in store would be horrid.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

ML is still in beta right now. My guess is that Apple is still optimizing the graphics drivers, and will do so even after ML is released. Software programming will catch up to the Retina Display.

11. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I really really hope that's the case!!! Optimizing the graphics drivers absolutely make sense in this situation! I'm almost sure it is fixable with a software tweak. I'm thinking positive and looking forward for ML!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

----------

Good question, honestly I don't know....

----------

GOOD for you! Then maybe yours was optimized in some way???

12. leenak macrumors 68020

There is an update you have to do or else (I've heard) that you will get excessive UI lag. I did the update as soon as I booted up my computer so I didn't get to experience the lag. It is possible that the in-store system didn't have the update (not sure why they would other than possible laziness).

13. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for info! Glad it works for you! So if you go for instance to pages that has a lot of images and texts like facebook, it scrolls the same as non retina MBP?

14. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

As long as there's a functioning version of Chrome, issues with Safari dont mean much. It's one of the absolute worst browsers I've ever used and I can't believe they still haven't fixed the fact that it absolutely eats through all your available memory if you leave it open all the time.

15. Spicedham macrumors regular

same here. it doesn't feel any different from my old mba

16. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

actually having rmbp now i can tell there is no issues whatsoever in safari, but chrome acts weird and jumps...using safari for smooth scroll! tried chrome and chrome canary, both with bad results...safari is the smoothest so far, as my previous mbp, no issues whatsoever

17. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

some programs just havent been updated to accommodate the rMBP. but as can be seen by most of the replies here, most are doing just fine.

18. Engali macrumors member

I can cinofrirm that the scroll lag issues were mostly fixed with ML, but some pages still have issues. For example, the HUlu homepage lags like crazy when I open it in Safari and in Opera. I don't know if it works differently in a different browser.