rMBP Thermals - Well designed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dekka007, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dekka007 macrumors member

Just been running Handbrake for 3 hours constantly on the rMBP 2.3Ghz.

The machine was even just sat on top of the sofa which is not the best surface for cooling effect :)

100% CPU for 3 hours Max CPU temperature is 93deg C. Pretty amazing cooling and the laptop is still very very quiet fan wise running at 5300RPM.

An incredible improvement over previous generation cooling and noise. Well done Apple.

Now should I replace the thermal paste. Seems unnecessary on the rMBP but needed to do it to get these temps. on the 2011 model.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Wow, I want to do that.

So I block the vents and run it at 100% for 3 hours?

Great, i'll start now.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I've noted the ifixit guides on the 2011 models, and many of those tabs and logic board connections look very breakable/not designed for disassembly. Did you have an easy time with yours?

4. dekka007 thread starter macrumors member

Did I say the vents were blocked - I just said it was sat on a not ideal surface.

And anyway the results were so far off the auto shutdown its a non event.....

5. zerotiu macrumors regular

You can identify that it is not ideal..but still you continue to use that for 3 hours? Why oh why? :D

Maybe, on appropriate surface, you can achieve 15-20 degrees lower than your 93 deg C

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Surface really doesn't matter as long as the vents aren't blocked. Your machine was performing exactly as it was designed to.

7. dekka007 thread starter macrumors member

If I wanted to be tied to a ideal surface for computer use such as a desk - I would have bought a desktop. Laptops are perfectly designed to be used under non ideal places.

Possibly. But 93 is well into the comfort zone for safety no where near the CPU limits. Which anyway should it rise it will throttle at a specific temp then auto shutdown.

93 is no where near those throttling/shutdown temps. Its a Notebook so it should be able to be used anywhere you want: Sofa, Lap, Desk. My results just confirm that.