rMBP + Thunderbolt Display

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
So, I mostly use my rMBP in clamshell mode. I have it hooked up to the Thunderbolt display, with my mouse and keyboard hooked directly into the display and whenever the computer goes to sleep, the mouse / keyboard will not wake it up.

I have to connect something (external HDD or keyboard USB) directly to the computer in order for the thing to wake up.

Should I:

A) Set the energy saver preferences to never sleep on power adapter

B) get the Rain Design mStand so that the laptop is open and I can hit the spacebar on the laptop to wake it up, plus have that retina display off to the side as well

or

C) Hassle Apple to take back/replace/fix the Thunderbolt display so that the rMBP wakes up when the keyboard and mouse are plugged into the display

What would you do? What should I do?

I also hear that USB hubs will work to wake the machine up if the keyboard/mouse are plugged into it. I've got my eye on the Belkin Thunderbolt hub. Should I just wait for that?

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Mine has the same issue and I don't think there is a fix for it.

I already got a new Thunderbolt Display due to another issue and the replacement exhibits the same symptoms.

Anyways I don't normally sleep my computer.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have the rMBP+TB Display, but don't have this issue. I have the Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard and Logitech Performance MX and they both use the same unifying USB receiver plugged into the back of the TB Display. If I click on the mouse or keyboard the rMBP will wake from sleep. The only thing I have plugged into the rMBP(other than the TB Display) is a USB 3.0 External HDD.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have the rMBP+TB Display, but don't have this issue. I have the Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard and Logitech Performance MX and they both use the same unifying USB receiver plugged into the back of the TB Display. If I click on the mouse or keyboard the rMBP will wake from sleep. The only thing I have plugged into the rMBP(other than the TB Display) is a USB 3.0 External HDD.
Ah, yeah. Im not on wireless keyboard or mouse.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
What external keyboard do you have? When I hit the 'enter' button on my apple wired keyboard plugged directly into my TBD, the display turns right on

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
What external keyboard do you have? When I hit the 'enter' button on my apple wired keyboard plugged directly into my TBD, the display turns right on
That's the one I have. Apple wired keyboard. Are you hitting enter from 'sleep'?

----------

I just went to the apple symbol, selected 'Sleep' and waited for the screen to turn off...

Then, I hit return, and then every other key to no avail. I'll just have it never sleep on power.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Hmmm. I'm thinking about this same setup with a new 13" rMBP. Will think twice about it if it won't wake up on key press or trackpad use.