rMBP + Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RealEyes, Oct 20, 2012.

1. RealEyes macrumors regular

So, I mostly use my rMBP in clamshell mode. I have it hooked up to the Thunderbolt display, with my mouse and keyboard hooked directly into the display and whenever the computer goes to sleep, the mouse / keyboard will not wake it up.

I have to connect something (external HDD or keyboard USB) directly to the computer in order for the thing to wake up.

Should I:

A) Set the energy saver preferences to never sleep on power adapter

B) get the Rain Design mStand so that the laptop is open and I can hit the spacebar on the laptop to wake it up, plus have that retina display off to the side as well

or

C) Hassle Apple to take back/replace/fix the Thunderbolt display so that the rMBP wakes up when the keyboard and mouse are plugged into the display

What would you do? What should I do?

I also hear that USB hubs will work to wake the machine up if the keyboard/mouse are plugged into it. I've got my eye on the Belkin Thunderbolt hub. Should I just wait for that?

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine has the same issue and I don't think there is a fix for it.

I already got a new Thunderbolt Display due to another issue and the replacement exhibits the same symptoms.

Anyways I don't normally sleep my computer.

3. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

This sounds normal to me. I set my power setting to never sleep on adapter.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

I have the rMBP+TB Display, but don't have this issue. I have the Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard and Logitech Performance MX and they both use the same unifying USB receiver plugged into the back of the TB Display. If I click on the mouse or keyboard the rMBP will wake from sleep. The only thing I have plugged into the rMBP(other than the TB Display) is a USB 3.0 External HDD.

5. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, yeah. Im not on wireless keyboard or mouse.

6. dkersten macrumors 6502a

What external keyboard do you have? When I hit the 'enter' button on my apple wired keyboard plugged directly into my TBD, the display turns right on

7. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

That's the one I have. Apple wired keyboard. Are you hitting enter from 'sleep'?

----------

I just went to the apple symbol, selected 'Sleep' and waited for the screen to turn off...

Then, I hit return, and then every other key to no avail. I'll just have it never sleep on power.

8. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Hmmm. I'm thinking about this same setup with a new 13" rMBP. Will think twice about it if it won't wake up on key press or trackpad use.