rMBP + Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter + Headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boy-better-know, Jul 25, 2012.

1. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Hello, I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. I just want to ask you guys if any of you are experiencing the same problem as me.
    Basically, when I am using headphones whilst I am connected to a router through the thunderbolt ethernet adapter I can hear the data transfer. So for example, each time I load up a page on safari, I can hear it make a sort of 'ch chhh chhhhhh chhhhhhhhhhh' sound though the headphones until the page loads. As you can imagine this is incredibly annoying when streaming video.

Could anyone else check if this is happening to them too? Don't know if I can live with it to be honest.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Just get a 10 dollar USB audio plug. Problem solved (assuming you can't do this with a software tweak)

I know a Plug sounds like hassle, but you can keep it attached to the headphone cable, which makes it less intrusive.

You use to get this sort of thing all the time. To see this pop up now, and with this machine, is amusing.

3. eron macrumors 6502

Tried, didn't hear any constant noise. Though I recall there might be noise occasionally.

Try plugging into the other TB port.

4. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have tried different headphones, I don't think a plug would work. Anyway, I shouldn't have to need one to be honest, it should just work.

Yeah I have tried them both and tried different headphones and I can still hear it. Not sure what to do.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Well, wanting it to work and it working are not the same thing. Like I said, this sort of thing use to be common. But in those days, you had to spend some money to get a USB audio device. Today they are not really an issue. I mean, around $7 bucks, and I imagine on Ebay cheaper.

6. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have never heard about the issue before. maybe a jack would work, either way I have it booked in to apple care next Wednesday. Not only fr the headphone jack, but also because there is a loose screw and the screen is yellowed at the bottom left, but I could live with that. All three issues together are beginning to annoy me though, will see what they have to say.

7. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Just an update for anyone who stumbles across this, or anyone interested, I have managed to isolate the problem, I am using a home plug for my wired connection, so when I plug the ethernet wire directly into the router it stops making the noise.

8. Wingzero macrumors member

I have home plugs, it's a little bit of lucky dip to be honest.

It depends on a couple of factors to if you will hear the static noise you've described.

- First is poor socket wiring where the home plugs connects to the wall

- Second poor construction/wiring of the connectors on the Cat5e cable or home plug. I presume that is the cable as CAT5e a lot do come with CAT5e. as standard.

Not really a lot you can do apart from swap the home plugs around, or try send them back complain of improper operation.

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

The electrician wiring your house probably ran the ethernet wires together with your power wires.

10. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Thanks guys, yeah I can live with it, if my rMBP was faulty then I would have to get it sorted, but it appears to be the £30 home plug, I can live with that. Mine is a TP Link home plug, not sure about anything technical here though, it could well be the one you mentioned. I am just happy my MBP is not the issue here.

Thanks for the replies.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Sounds like bad shielding on either your headphone wire or the CAT5 cable.

12. Wingzero macrumors member

If it makes you feel better I have TP Link 200Mbps homeplugs, and 2 out of 3 of these make a significant high pitched whining sound.

13. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Haha, yeah, they work great though apart from these noises.:rolleyes:

14. Wingzero macrumors member

They do but they eat a power socket up, you can pick up ones with pass through so you can then plug another power plug into them which is quite sexy if I do say so myself.