Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

rMBP Time Machine Speed -- Normal?

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Not sure whether to post here or in Peripherals, so I'll start here.

I have a late '13 15" rMBP and an 802.11ac 2TB Time Capsule, directly connected by CAT6 cable (via an Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter).

I never see Time Machine back up speeds over 20-21 MB/s (160-170 Mb/s) on a network that is theoretically capable of 125 MB/S -- usually lower. While I recognize that initial file transfer speeds are often slow (KB/s range), after the first minute or so they ramp up to the 10-20 MB/s range. I am also aware that real world never equals theoretical (overhead, signal/noise issues, etc.), but I was expecting a bit better than 15-20% of theoretical!

As I often have my 40GB Parallels Win 8.1 file in the back up, TM backups can take a fair amount of time (I am aware that I can exclude the Parallels file, but do not wish to do so).

So, is my experience "normal"? How do others' set-ups compare? Is it possible that I've missed a setting that would enhance the data rate?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I called apple care about this.
My macmini backs up normally but the rmbp takes not hours but days :eek: !
Apple said that is normal unless i turn off the encryption.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hard disks in time capsules are usually the slower "green" drives. I haven't seen much higher than 20MB/s or so write speed to them.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hard disks in time capsules are usually the slower "green" drives. I haven't seen much higher than 20MB/s or so write speed to them.
I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

Time to look into whether a 7200 rpm HD (or even an SSD if I'm feeling stupid with my $) would provide enough of a performance boost to make the effort worthwhile.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
A little more research resulted in finding:

The A1470 Time Capsule that ifixit took apart had a SATA III Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001. Seagate specs read/write data rates at 156MB/s, max 210MB/s -- exactly right for ~20-21MB/s Time Machine back-ups from my rMBP.

Now it's off to look for data rates from SSD's :D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I found TM to be exceedingly slow across the network, regardless of the destination, i.e., NAS or TC. When I started using a Drobo Mini DAS, well things changed dramatically and my backups took minutes, in fact the initial backup which could take a day or two finished up in 40 minutes.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
A little more research resulted in finding:

The A1470 Time Capsule that ifixit took apart had a SATA III Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001. Seagate specs read/write data rates at 156MB/s, max 210MB/s -- exactly right for ~20-21MB/s Time Machine back-ups from my rMBP.

Now it's off to look for data rates from SSD's :D

Just like you quoted, the Seagate specs sheets state speeds in MB/s, not Mb/s. So 210MB/s > 21MB/s.

The drive is not the bottleneck here. The processing power of the TC, and file system/transfer method are much more likely the limiting factors, and there's not much that can be done to those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.