rMBP to Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by crisito, Sep 25, 2012.

1. crisito macrumors regular

I've switched from a rMBP to an Air as I really don't need all the performance of the rMBP. The only reason I'd go back to it is because the screen isn't great on the Air after using the Retina display. The Air's display is very washed out looking, the contrast seems to be the main problem. It's a Samsung LCD. I've tried calibrating it but I can't seem to get it right.

I really want to like the Air's screen because I like the compactness of it, but maybe I'm too used to the Retina now.

Any suggestions?

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

It will take time to adjust. If not, you'll need to wait for the rumored rmbp 13. Luckily for me I adjust fast and can switch back and forth without a problem.

3. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

It's kind of like saying "I used to drive a Ferrari, then I switched to a Toyota. Is there anything I can do to make my Toyota more like a Ferrari?"

The short answer is no. But the Toyota is still nice and gets you where you want to go.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. DrumApple macrumors 6502

Nope. The Air's screen is pretty dated at this point, needs refreshing big time. And a matte option damnit.

6. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Yes - Two suggestions:
    1) connect a nice large external display to the air if you really don't like the native display.
    2) give your rMBP to me! I'll put it to good use!

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The Air has a nice (esp. for the Samsung version) but vanilla TN panel.

The rMBP has a wonderful IPS panel. Gamut/constrast/viewing angle etc are just much better, mostly as a consequence of the technology itself.

I've played with an rMBP for an hour or so and the display is exceedingly nice, but I'm too tied to the convenience of the 11" form factor.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yep - unfortunately, it will just take some time to adjust. That retina screen is amazing.

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

Yep, the Air really needs an IPS panel. I looked at the ASUS UX-31A the other day, and the difference is amazing.

10. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't go back to the Air in the end, back to the Retina now :)

11. modular macrumors regular

12. iAco macrumors regular

You can't adjust downwards. Going from a retina pro to air. C'mon now...