rMBP to Air

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've switched from a rMBP to an Air as I really don't need all the performance of the rMBP. The only reason I'd go back to it is because the screen isn't great on the Air after using the Retina display. The Air's display is very washed out looking, the contrast seems to be the main problem. It's a Samsung LCD. I've tried calibrating it but I can't seem to get it right.

I really want to like the Air's screen because I like the compactness of it, but maybe I'm too used to the Retina now.

Any suggestions?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
It will take time to adjust. If not, you'll need to wait for the rumored rmbp 13. Luckily for me I adjust fast and can switch back and forth without a problem.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
It's kind of like saying "I used to drive a Ferrari, then I switched to a Toyota. Is there anything I can do to make my Toyota more like a Ferrari?"

The short answer is no. But the Toyota is still nice and gets you where you want to go.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Nope. The Air's screen is pretty dated at this point, needs refreshing big time. And a matte option damnit.

HMI

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2012
I've switched from a rMBP to an Air as I really don't need all the performance of the rMBP. The only reason I'd go back to it is because the screen isn't great on the Air after using the Retina display. The Air's display is very washed out looking, the contrast seems to be the main problem. It's a Samsung LCD. I've tried calibrating it but I can't seem to get it right.

I really want to like the Air's screen because I like the compactness of it, but maybe I'm too used to the Retina now.

Any suggestions?
Yes - Two suggestions:
1) connect a nice large external display to the air if you really don't like the native display.
2) give your rMBP to me! I'll put it to good use!

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
The Air has a nice (esp. for the Samsung version) but vanilla TN panel.

The rMBP has a wonderful IPS panel. Gamut/constrast/viewing angle etc are just much better, mostly as a consequence of the technology itself.

I've played with an rMBP for an hour or so and the display is exceedingly nice, but I'm too tied to the convenience of the 11" form factor.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Yep, the Air really needs an IPS panel. I looked at the ASUS UX-31A the other day, and the difference is amazing.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
You can't adjust downwards. Going from a retina pro to air. C'mon now...