rMBP to cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPurpleblob, Nov 13, 2012.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

There are so much problems and glitches within the retina line and I'm thinking of just exchanging it for a base model cmbp with a anti glare screen...
    Has anyone done this and how big of a change is it to get used to the lower resolution screen?
    And the portability

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Probably would be best for you to go into an apple store and lay eyes and hands on it.

3. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Exactly what clyde said. The tolerance is subjective, so you should go try it out personally at an Apple store.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Save your money.

Good on you - save your money - it makes a tremendous difference a world of difference, so all the BEST ! You are making the right decision for the better. Wait a few gens before buying into their retina macbook fad. I'm holding out for their 17" rMBP personally. The current rMBooks are just test runs and there are a lot of testers already buying in and giving them a good go at it, I'm really proud because it means big sales for Apple and lots of money to develop the perfect rMacBook Pro the 17" line. Keep it up everyone, this is a good thing for science. *Enjoying her maxed out 17" MBP so much*

6. wiznet macrumors regular

Exactly what are you experiencing? I'd urge to you to stick with the rMBP, it's a far superior machine.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Good luck with that.

----------

Besides the screen, it really technically isn't.

8. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

A 17" Macbook Pro Retina? Is that the Canadian model?

9. wiznet, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

wiznet macrumors regular

If you plan on upgrading to SSD, it isn't. And OP isn't. That instantly puts the cmbp at a huge disadvantage.

10. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Haha!

Cute - yep, we Canadians get only the BEST ayeh ! We have great eye sight up here, the air is fresher, crisp rocky mountain air - so revitalizing and pristine - everything we look at is crystal clear, it is in our water, well, I can only speak for Alberta.. =^_^=

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Essentially no different. They're the same sizes, just a bit thinner and lighter. I have a 13" MBP that I have no problems taking almost everywhere and I never see my friend without his 15" MBP.

13. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

But it's Canada.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If it is anything like switching between my iPhone 3Gs and my iPhone 4s, going back to a low resolution screen is pretty painful. Although I don't think the difference is as extreme on the larger MacBook Pro display.

As for portability, I really don't have any complaints about the weight and thickness of my 13" MBP, but a thinner, lighter model would be welcome(if the 13" rMBP weren't so expensive).

15. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

I personally think the footprint is more important for portability than the weight. The difference between 15" and 13" or 13" and 11" is enormous. But 15" to 15"? Both the 15" rMBP and cMBP are large and clunky and if you got a bag large enough to hold them, you'll probably stuff all kinds of other random stuff into it as well, just because you can. The computer weighing a few hundred gramms more or less doesn't really matter.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Not really.

the classic has upgradable ram, easily replacable battery, and can fit several tb of storage internally, even if you get an SSD.

To the OP: i'm pretty happy with my 2011 hi-res. its not retina, but the hi-res display is "good enough". The spec on the current generation of retina machines hasn't made me want to upgrade in any sort of hurry.

17. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have been from cMBP to rMBP and am now back on cMBP. Being back on a 17", I really do not mind the lower resolution. It is still an excellent display. :)

18. wiznet macrumors regular

OP clearly stated he was buying the base model, I assumed this meant no upgrade to SSD.

Comparing the base model retina to the classic, it is superior due to the SSD, and the screen.

If he has upgradeability as a high priority, of course the cmbp has an advantage.

19. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

WOAHWOAh I am going to upgrade to an SSD and 16gb of ram later on...
    At this point I guess I'm worried about the lower resolution and portability.

20. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes. I went from a 13" rMBP 256 GB to a 13" i7. No problem on the screen. Portability is the same for me - the weight difference is irrelevant.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 15", given your reference to a anti-glare screen, which is not available on the 13".

21. Liquinn Suspended

That forces the buyer to get the 15" instead of the 13" if they need/want anti-glare. :p

22. mslide macrumors 6502a

There's no loss of portability in my opinion. No matter how light and thin it is, a 15" laptop is pretty much always a beast due to its footprint.

You'll have to decide if the resolution matters that much to you. Me personally? I couldn't care less about having a retina display on a laptop but that's your call. I mean, if I could get it for free then sure but I'd never pay extra for it.

If it were me, I'd return the retina and get a cMBP and put more RAM and an SSD in it myself.

23. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I am actually from Wisconsin, so I may have to make a trip up there, to really appreciate it. :p

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

25. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Come on up anytime!

You're always welcome ! I'll show you around, I'm a musician so I am very very well connected. It is gorgeous up here, the HUGE sky, the rockies and everything, can't beat it. Well.......... ^_^