rMBP to rMBP via thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evilpaddy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. evilpaddy macrumors regular

I have just purchased a second rMBP and assumed that I could connect them to each other via thunderbolt for file sharing.

The supplied 2m thunderbolt cable prompts nothing in the network settings but works fine if I use two thunderbolt > ethernet adaptors.
    Thunderbolt over ethernet works fine and is fast enough, but I'd rather use one cable over three! It's not a big issue as I'm only doing it to restore boot images etc...

Is it supposed to work? Any tips?

2. Jiggly Billy macrumors newbie

Hold down T on one of them as they boot up. File sharing via Thunderbolt works exactly (and only) like it did/does with Firewire.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I would not even call it a file sharing. The described Target Disk Mode makes from the disk spender MacBook a kind of external TB drive, that's it.

4. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I new about target disk mode, but I assumed that the thunderbolt cable would work without the two ethernet adapters. Oh well! I am sure I find a use for the cable! Seems an odd implementation!

5. EricT43 macrumors regular

I think it will work without the Ethernet adapters. Try target disk mode with just the TB cable. Then copy your files.

Or, perhaps a simpler method - backup your original computer to an external drive with Time Machine. Then during the setup of the new computer, tell it you want to load files, apps, and settings from a TM backup.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

And to clarify, Thunderbolt does not allow you two connect two computers together as some sort of 10Gb network connection where you can use both computers at the same time, which it sounds like the OP is wanting to do. This only works in target mode.