Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tacticus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I would like to connect my Retina MacBook Pro to my TV HDMI slot for mirroring. Does anybody have any recommendations on what sort of connector (DV, thunderbolt) and make I should go for please ?

Dragooon

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
A nice HDMI to HDMI connector, this was actually a surprise for me since I had no idea rMBP has a full HDMI port, I was going to buy a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter but forgot about it at the end moment.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because then you can do it from the couch of course!:D
Oh Yeah! Who wants extra cables and wires, when it can be done with Apple TV?
Sometimes I'll want to show something on my iPad to my wife, and simply switch the iPad over to Apple TV, and then back to whatever nonsense she had on the tube. :D

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Why? Adding extra hardware so you can stream a very limited amount of media doesn't make sense to me when you can just plug directly in with HDMI and play anything you want to.
You can still mirror you screen and play anything you want to as well; again, with the usefulness of being completely wireless.

Besides, an AppleTV can be had for $80-$90 used... there are people out there that pay more than that for HDMI cables :p

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Oh Yeah! Who wants extra cables and wires, when it can be done with Apple TV?
Those who prioritize image quality over convenience. Never assume your preferences are universal no matter what the topic. I use both methods. Each has its pros and cons.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
HDMI does have a relatively short cable length limit, something like 10-15 feet, unless you use amplified or buffered cable$$. An Apple TV may be less money than HDMI cables which are not cheap... but with HDMI you can play anything on the TV that the rMBP can.

I have both :) .. But the apple TV can stream Netflix, pod casts, and others sources directly without need of a laptop.... so if that is what you intend to watch, just get the AppleTV and don't bother using HDMI cables and the rMBP for that purpose.

Dragooon

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Wow, you paid $1500+ for a laptop and don't know what ports you have. You didn't even look on the side and see the port labeled HDMI? Sad.

I paid 2200$ actually :p, but yeah, even I didn't have any idea I had a HDMI port. I was randomly seeing the body and then realised there was a full HDMI port out there. It wasn't one of my priorities so I didn't bother with it beforehand.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
You can still mirror you screen and play anything you want to as well; again, with the usefulness of being completely wireless.

Besides, an AppleTV can be had for $80-$90 used... there are people out there that pay more than that for HDMI cables :p

I think you are forgetting that even with an apple tv he will still need to spend money on an hdmi cable to hook that up

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Apple TV lags and gets annoying when doing certain tasking. Also the aspect ratio looks funny, it just looks better through hdmi. I only stream through Apple TV for quick convince nothing permanent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.