rMBP Top Case Replacement - 1 Week?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crzyrio, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

My rMBP trackpad start to act up, I had to press really hard for it to recognize anything. Took it into the Apple Store, they said they will replace the entire top case. Saw this as a big + since my year old macbook also get a new battery ?

But they said it is going to take 7-10 days to replace, which seems like a ridiculous long time for something like that. Any one had this done in the past? I am wondering if it is based on location, the one I took it to is a very busy location.

Or is their install/test procedure actually take a whole week to install?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

They quote 7-10 working days for repair as an absolute maximum. They're normally done quicker than that. With that quote of 7-10 working days, they are setting up a service level agreement. If they said 3-5 days and some unforeseen issue pushed it over that, people would have grounds for a lawsuit (not likely, but why tempt fate).

That said, the repair time differs greatly depending on how busy the store is. Most Apple Stores work ~11 hours a day and do their repairs in the evenings, so you can imagine how busy that is.

It needs to get fixed, though in my experience it won't be quite that long. However YMMV.

3. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info, will report back when its done still. 4 days so far.

Any idea how long a repair like this would take for a person to do though? Just curious.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Couple hours tops.

5. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

I always laugh when I hear people say things along the lines of"It shouldn't take that long, for what the issue is"..If people honestly had any idea of how many machines are checked in on a daily basis at a store, they would see that the standard 3-5 or 5-7(For most US locations) quote makes sense. Must be a nice fantasy world going to a store and having your machine prioritized over 60+ other RFR status machines, that have been there before yours just because you think its a simple fix..The quoted time isn't to punish you, its there to properly allocate a mac technician to do the repair on the already tight schedule they work on..The repairs themselves only take a couple hours, assuming no hiccups but realize that there are dozens of other machines and a finite number of Mac certified techs in each store...

6. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

If they are in fact so many people ahead of me then perhaps, they should hire more technicians.

I understand there are other people ahead of me but 7-10 days is still a long time. Not to mention another 5 days I had to wait for them to get the part in of which I had to call on the 7th day to actually find out if the part had come in or not.

I would have rather driven an hour or so to a less crowded store if the time would have been shorter. Hence the questions as well, so for next time Ill go to a less busy Apple Store where there will be less people ahead of me.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The job takes 45 minutes then a hardware test after. The time quoted includes getting the part in then fitting on to plus there may be a que.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

At a quiet local store it could be done the same day. At covent garden, you'll be lucky to get it back in a month.

As said above, it's not how long it'll take to do your machine, but how long it'll take to do all the machines brought in before yours.

9. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

The 7-10 days was for just the repair:p

I was quoted, 3-5 days to get the part in(but didn't receive any call about the part, had to call in on the 7th day to inquire) and then 7-10 days to replace.

Thanks, so it is dependent on the store. I went to one of the busiest store in my area, will drive out a bit next time!

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's a bit poor on there part. I've always been quoted a 'total' time