rMBP Trackpad Issue - getting a replacement from Apple Support after the 14 days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsalannn, Sep 3, 2012.

1. arsalannn, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

arsalannn macrumors newbie

Bought a rMBP about three weeks ago, and I was so happy that I got a perfect one on the first try. But of course my issues started to pop up right after the 14 days.

First was a rather severe case creaking, so bad that my screen would make clicking noises at the hinge when I adjusted its position. Took it in, they repositioned the bottom plate, and it was all fixed. Buttery smooth.

But I also developed another problem two days ago -- the trackpad has lost some of its tactile feedback on the left side. It's almost as if it's stuck in a higher position, and it only depresses about half as much as the right side does. It gets progressively better as you move down and to the right. I'm not super picky about these things, but it just sucks to have even a minor defect on a $2600 computer that I plan to keep for five years. The trackpad itself is fully functional, but the inconsistent feedback sometimes throws me off and if this is how it is after three weeks, I'm not confident it won't get worse.

I suspected this would be due to a swelling battery or something pushing up from the inside, but the Genius Bar said the inside looks normal. I was given three options -- live with it unless it gets worse, replace the entire case under Apple Care, or call Apple Support and see if they would give me a replacement (since I have a custom configuration, it would have to be ordered through the online store). I was told that if they refused, I could come back into the Apple Store and they would give me full store credit and I could actually repurchase a new one.

So, here's my dilemma. Right now I have a perfect screen (Samsung), and I'm not sure I want to risk getting a faulty replacement since I'd be outside my 14-day return window and would pretty much be stuck with whatever I get. Apple Support is closed due to labor day, but when I call back tomorrow, I'd like to know my options. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does Apple keep a record of if you call in? (i.e. could I go back to the store and just try to get store credit, or would they say I need to try getting a replacement first?)

2. FroColin macrumors regular

Okay, the LG vs Samsung thing is just absurd, are you envisioning that you're going to get the LG screen and it's just going to look worse? Everything is going to be slower or when you move windows that you'll be able to see the path of the window? If THAT happens I'm sure they will replace it, but that is very unlikely to happen, LG screens are just as good as Samsung's pretty much. The "image retention test" that we all see on this forum is rubbish, you'll probably get some retention on your samsung screen, but that's not a real world application. Don't be afraid of getting an LG screen or anything, 99% of these products work almost identically, which is to say well. I got a rMBP and it's.... Great, no problems yet, if it develops a problem I will take it into the Apple store even if I had to get an LG screen, I wouldn't think twice. Apple does quality control.
    Your LG screen will be equally perfect. Or, do this test, go to the apple store and play with the rMBP and see if you can pick which ones are LG and which are Samsung, if you get it right, then don't risk getting a Samsung

3. arsalannn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the rant, but honestly, I'm not worried about getting an LG screen. Like you, I have more confidence in Apple than most people on here and I don't think they'd release a product that was as consistently defective as these forums would have me believe (despite being really let down after purchasing my first Mac).

That being said, I am an architecture student and photographer so I'll be spending hours on end in the same program without moving toolbars and it would be great to have some peace of mind that I won't be getting image retention issues down the line, something which quite a few people on here have claimed with the LG. I'm not one of those obsessive people who would return 4 MBPs to get a Samsung, and I'm not going to go looking for problems where I don't see any.

What I AM worried about is getting any sort of defects, such as backlight bleed, dead pixels, or a color gradient either with a Samsung and LG screen, and I've seen enough to know that it's not an uncommon occurrence. I'm just nervous about getting stuck with something noticeably worse than what I have. I'm a college student who waited years to get this computer, and I plan to keep it for years to come, so I really don't think that's unreasonable.

4. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Return the one you have and order a new one or get a replacement if they let you. If the new one or replacement is not up to "your" standards replace it and get another new one.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I've had 4 LG screens all of them confirmed to have the screen retention. My Samsung for the past 2 weeks have been unable to recreate what was done with all the LG screens that I was able to recreate in under an hour.

I understand that not all LG screens may have it but their quality control is crap.

6. obamtl macrumors regular

The LG thing is overplayed. I have an LG screen and it's perfect. I never noticed any image retention, so I actually went as far as trying to recreate it under the worst conditions... still nothing. It is likely that early LG screens had the problem, but I'm sure even LG must have woken up to the issues and fixed it by now. My rMBP came in just over a week ago.

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you are not content with the unit that you have now and can get a replacement then get the replacement.

9. arsalannn, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

arsalannn thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my question though. The store has said that if Apple support refuses to give me a replacement under warranty (since I got a BTO online I have to call in and go through them), I can go back to the Apple store for a reimbursement.

Does Apple keep a record of whether you contact support or not? Could I just go back into the store and ask for store credit without trying through phone support first? This way I would get the 14-day return policy in case something's wrong with my new one.

----------

Well obviously, but that wasn't my question. Perhaps I should have made a shorter post :eek:

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I thought I was addressing your concern, but sorry if you were looking for a different response.

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I just have to throw in my $.02 here. I'd suggest having the top case replaced under AppleCare. You may be out the computer for a few days, but hopefully your issues will be solved.

Apple CAN keep a record if you call in. It's going to depend on the person you talked with to actually record a case number. You're outside of your return period, they may let you return it but I doubt they have a policy. They may charge a restocking fee if they do allow it.