Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
My rMBP has been having issues waking from sleep. About 20% of the time it acts like it isn't waking up and there is just a black screen. No keyboard lights or internal noises. When this happens on average it takes 2 minutes to wake from sleep but ranges from 60 seconds to 5 minutes.

I have reinstalled the operating system with no restore from time machine. Also, I have done the different resets you do at boot up. I don't recall what they are called. Still no fix. The apple store was not much help. The tests they ran show everything is good. Also, because it doesn't happen every time I haven't reproduced it in the store.

Any suggestions?

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Try looking at the sleep / wake logs, should be able to pinpoint whats making it so slow in response.

In terminal:

pmset -g log

You'll be looking for 'slowResponse' and in there it will detail what and for how long.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
My rMBP has been having issues waking from sleep. About 20% of the time it acts like it isn't waking up and there is just a black screen. No keyboard lights or internal noises. When this happens on average it takes 2 minutes to wake from sleep but ranges from 60 seconds to 5 minutes.

I have reinstalled the operating system with no restore from time machine. Also, I have done the different resets you do at boot up. I don't recall what they are called. Still no fix. The apple store was not much help. The tests they ran show everything is good. Also, because it doesn't happen every time I haven't reproduced it in the store.

Any suggestions?

It might be app related. If you have utility apps that manage the screen, battery, memory of storage, you might want to remove and install them one at a time to see if any of them introduce the issue. Personally, I make a point of not installing these type of apps because they can screw up the OS.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Try looking at the sleep / wake logs, should be able to pinpoint whats making it so slow in response.

In terminal:

pmset -g log

You'll be looking for 'slowResponse' and in there it will detail what and for how long.

Okay, so I did this and when I have the slow wakes it is connected to a Kernel activity that says "response from powered is slow" I don't know what that is though.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
When it takes a while to wake from sleep, has the unit been asleep long or is it just recently been put to sleep?

How long was the delay of slow response? Was it inline with the amount of time you are waiting?

You mentioned different resets performed, I'd assume you include SMC reset?

One possibility of that message is reading / loading sleep image file.

How's the SSD? Performance wise. Also how full or empty is your SSD?

More info is still needed. How much questions was asked at the Apple Store? Wondering how far they inquired.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
When it takes a while to wake from sleep, has the unit been asleep long or is it just recently been put to sleep?

How long was the delay of slow response? Was it inline with the amount of time you are waiting?

You mentioned different resets performed, I'd assume you include SMC reset?

One possibility of that message is reading / loading sleep image file.

How's the SSD? Performance wise. Also how full or empty is your SSD?

More info is still needed. How much questions was asked at the Apple Store? Wondering how far they inquired.

Apple didn't inquire far at all. They suggested maybe a faulty sleep image. I have an apple ssd and they said it checked out fine. I don't know any specifics. I have 50gb of 256 freein the ssd. Also, yes SMC reset was one of the resets I did. The slow response was in line with how long I was waiting. On the low end it was 25 seconds. I seems that my machine hasn't been asleep long when this happens but I can't say this is always true. I can just remember some specific times where this is true. Like 5 to 15 minutes of sleep.

I don't think it has to do with sleep image because I though the OS did that frayed out screen and had the little loading bars when loading sleep image.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Mine seems to take awhile to wake after I put it to sleep with apps open that are taking up a lot of RAM.. FV enabled. I think the RAM contents get stored away at some point and it takes awhile to retrieve... but that's a guess on my part..

Does your machine go into hibernate (deep sleep) after an hour of regular sleep and does this correlate with the slow wake?

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Mine seems to take awhile to wake after I put it to sleep with apps open that are taking up a lot of RAM.. FV enabled. I think the RAM contents get stored away at some point and it takes awhile to retrieve... but that's a guess on my part..

Does your machine go into hibernate (deep sleep) after an hour of regular sleep and does this correlate with the slow wake?

I turned off hibernation mode. Well, at least delayed it by like 24 hours

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Sleep image is for deep sleep mode (also known as standby), yes, where it shows the gray screen with a loading bar at the bottom.

Does your system typically wake up fast? I know you mentioned it happens about 20% of the time, so the other 80% is normal/fast?

Ever try booting in safe mode and use it for a little while in that mode and see if it happens?

powerd is power management control.

So the system is registering you want it to wake up but response time is long.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Sleep image is for deep sleep mode (also known as standby), yes, where it shows the gray screen with a loading bar at the bottom.

Does your system typically wake up fast? I know you mentioned it happens about 20% of the time, so the other 80% is normal/fast?

Ever try booting in safe mode and use it for a little while in that mode and see if it happens?

powerd is power management control.

So the system is registering you want it to wake up but response time is long.

Yeah, it wakes fast all the other times. Practically instant ally. The only time it is slower is when it wakes from deep sleep, like if the battery was almost dead. But that is the gray screen like we talked about.

I haven't tried safe mode. I'll try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.