rMBP Upgradable HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webjeff, Jul 22, 2012.

1. webjeff macrumors member

Hello,

I know I've read a bunch of first review/articles that say everything is soldered in, nothing can change, bla bla.

I also read somewhere that the SSD drive is on a separate chip, just proprietary.

Do you think we will be able to upgrade the HD at some point? I have a 256GB on order, but the idea would be to get a 756GB later when price goes down and an option.

I know I could do external drives, but as soon as I spend 400 bucks on an external firewire drive or usb3, I might as well just got the 512GB drive option.

Any thoughts?

2. spdntrxi macrumors regular

someone will find a way (like the AIR) but it won't be cheap...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, at some point you will be able to. You're going to be waiting a long time for a 756 (weird size??) GB drive, though... if one ever comes out in the right form factor.

4. webjeff thread starter macrumors member

Do you think this is something Apple will do in their stores?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They don't do it for the Airs.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

OWC has already released SSDs that are compatible with the new connector for the 2012 Macbook Air. There will probably be a similar one for the RMBP soon.

I wouldn't count on it as being cheaper than Apple's SSD options. Mostly it's nice for peace of mind that you could upgrade in a few years.