RMBP upgrade through apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miles400, Jul 21, 2012.

1. miles400 macrumors member

miles400

I'm new to macs and I ordered a base model RMBP with 16GB of ram 10 days ago I was wondering if when the new RMBP is released if I took my old RMBP into the apple store would they let me give it to them and in return I could make up the difference for the new macbook pro or does it not work like this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless the updated models come out within a month or so of you buying the machine that's not how it works.

3. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I don't know of any company does that, computers or otherwise.

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

OP can't be serious...

And if they drop the prices next year would the OP feel entitled to a refund of the difference when they provide the brand new computer in exchange for the old?

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

So you'd basically be paying nothing for using the current computer until the new one comes out? No...not gonna happen. During the time you have it, the value of the computer goes down. There's no way they'd give you the original purchase price towards a new one, even if they did trade-ins like this. But they don't, so it doesn't matter. Your best bet would be to sell the one you have and purchase the new one. It's not a fun route to go, but it's the best option.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, apple like most other computer companies does not take trade ins. You buy a computer, its yours. If you don't need one now and you're eyeing the next update, then wait. Otherwise buy now, use it, and when the next model is released sell your current rMBP on ebay or craigslist.

7. spdntrxi macrumors regular