rMBP upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z17, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Z17 macrumors newbie

Would anyone be able to tell me if you are able to get the SSD in rMBP upgraded by Apple. I currently have the 2.3/256/16 model. Wondering if I could upgrade the SSD to 512GB. Don't want to do it myself as it voids the warranty.

2. simsaladimbamba

No. If you are in the 14 day return period, you could return your Mac and exchange it with a higher specced model.

3. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thats not going to happen. I've had the rMBP since June 21st. Wonder if there is another way to exchange it. Hmmmmm :confused:

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

sell it on craigslist and buy another rmbp

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not a formal replacement, no. As the user above pointed out, your best bet is to try to flip it for some cash to put towards another computer. You're going to take a loss though.

You could simply use external storage too as a way around your need for larger internal capacity.

6. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh an external would be another solution. I would like an external hard drive that is USB 3.0, bus powered and I can use it between Mac OS X and Windows.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any external drive with a USB 3.0 interface will work. You can format it to suit your needs.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

8. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

9. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the guide. Well based on this information I think I'll give HFS+ a chance. Basically I want to be able to transfer files between my MacBook and my Windows PC that are greater than 4GB. I want to be able to read and write on either. I currently already have an external Western Digital HDD 2TB and USB 3.0 only problem is that it's not bus powered. So I assume all I'll have to do is format the HDD to HFS+ and get MacDrive for Windows and I should be good to go?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.

11. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on. Do you know any good external hard drives?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

As far as external drives - consider how much external storage you need, then try to find a drive that has a solid warranty (3+ years). You could simply get the cheapest drive you can find, I would personally find one with a reasonable warranty though.

15. Z17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that because they are unpredictable and can break at any time?

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not necessarily, it's just something that I like to consider when buying drives. Drives at the same price point can have a 1 year warranty as opposed to a 5 year warranty - it's best to go with the product that is back with a longer warranty in my opinion. This isn't because it is going to break or stop working, just for the possibility that it may.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think you missed the part where he specifically said that he didn't want to do that. That would mean it is not an option.

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

OWC is overpriced hardware because threw a "Mac compatible" sticker on their product when in reality it's just the same PC part you can get from newegg.com

Some Mac users are so oblivious that a Mac is pc hardware and it doesn't need to say "Mac compatible", it just needs to be of the same spec to actually work.

People also think because OWC slaps a "Mac compatible" sticker on their products that they will "just work", well guess what? They can fail or be doa like any other hardware.

19. monkeybagel, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I saw where he said he didn't want to do the upgrade himself, but I thought he may be open to taking it in and having it done?

Which perhaps it would void his warranty that he wanted to avoid.

----------

Isn't this particular drive proprietary to the retina?

20. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

OWC ~ Aura ~

To be honest, I don't consider the OWC ~ Aura Pro SDD to be very expensive at $580 for 480GB vs Selling and buying another.. especially as they have 'rated the do it yourself factor' at a 2 out of 5 Stars.. However, some folks may not want to, I understand, but I sure wouldn't hesitate..

Apple made it sound as though the SSD was 'non-replaceable' and I expected it to be Soldered on to the board, it is NOT, need a TORX Driver .. it looks about 3 minutes Tougher than replacing the RAM in my 2011 MBP.. which takes me 5 minutes to do!!

The OWC video is VERY straight forward and says 15 minutes.. and I'll bet 10 minutes would be LOTS, even if you stop to clean the fuzz out of your fans, which I would suggest.. ALWAYS!! :D

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_retinadisplay_mid12_unibody_ssd_m/

21. zipur macrumors 6502

Just to be clear for me a Noob, if I upgrade the SSD on my own, it would void the warrantee right? Question 2, if you have apple upgrade you hard drive don't they use the same $500.00 hardware.?

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If the SSD is listed in the manual for your rMBP as a user replaceable part, then you may replace it without voiding the warranty. If it is not, then no.

But it's starting to become a sort of gray area, since you can presumably keep the original SSD and pop it back in should you need to take the rMBP back for servicing. Also, the conventional wisdom with upgrading the classic MBP is to also restore those machines back to stock configuration prior to returning for repair to keep the geniuses from blaming any problem on the 3rd party parts and promptly returning the laptop back to you unfixed.

Were you to upgrade the SSD, the wise thing to do would be to keep the original just in case.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

"Your MacBook Pro does not have any user-serviceable parts."

And that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, they like it....

...uh-huh, uh-huh!

25. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

I agree, OWC sells overpriced stuff. The Mercury Extreme Pro 120GB is $168 while a Samsung 830 using the same NAND is $99. OWC is the only one producing an SSD for the retina MBP though.