rMBP USB ports different on each side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonic, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Sonic macrumors regular

I'm hoping this is the case because although my left port is syncing with the iPad and powering it, it won't run anything else (such as a new USB pen drive I got today and my Logitech mouse transmitter) - but all of these seem to work in the right side USB port. I hope there's nothing wrong with my machine, it'll be hard to give up now I've finally got it!

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

things seem to work for me on both sides.

Contact apple support, see what they say.

One thing you can you is speak to them on the phone (if you need to arrange a return and replacement) and ask them to send the new one out, what you then do is schedule the collection date for your current machine to after the expected delivery date of the replacement, that way you always have a macbook pro.

3. Sonic thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, very oddly it's started working now. I wonder if the iPad connector loosened a pin or something? It definitely didn't recognise either device I tried before. I'll have to see how it goes in the next few days...

4. markp99 macrumors member

Good timing.

I have noticed a few times over the last day or two that my external USB 3.0 drive will DISCONNECT simply by moving the drive or jiggling the cable.

Might be a bad cable/connector - USB connector feels loose/wiggly in the RMBP. This is a WD Passport drive - could be a slightly undersized connector from WD, or oversized slot from Apple.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Note: The only other USB device I've used on this RMBP was a USB thumb drive - no issue with that.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Both should be identical.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have a TERRIBLE time with WD cables. I have two 500GB externals from then and one of the cables just doesn't work and the other one can get pretty finicky at times.