rMBP USB Ports

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drich290195, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

This is the second retina Macbook Pro i have had and wanted to know if anyone else notices this issue. Iv checked on a friends and his is similar and checked in store. Why do the USB ports and Thunderport ports all feel a lot looser and less secure than they did on previous generations. Is this just a by product of how they are built now.

Looking at them its just bare metal in there nothing like what an ordinary usb port inside looks like. Just wondered if it annoyed anyone else. Guessing there is no solution as its a combination of case and logic board production. Just wanted to hear others views.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I've noticed the usb ports (TB) to be loose on my 2012 rMBP.

Is this a phenomenon on the newer rMBPs?

3. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I've noticed the exact opposite on the rMBP I'm currently using. The USB ports seem to be noticeably more snug than on my prior machine.

5. samanthas macrumors regular

The USB ports of my rmbp are loose too. I haven't had any lost connections though. *knocks on wood*

I did some googling when I first noticed and came across a couple posts about this.

Haven't tested the thunderbolt ports yet.

6. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Iv taken mine to apple so will let you know if it's normal

7. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Back from apple today they say they are normal. They work perfect just loose they say that's how they are

8. scottyboy88 macrumors newbie

I know this is an old post, but I too have purchased a Retina Macbook Pro (July2014 Model) and this was one of the first things I noticed... It just felt different. That being said, different USB's fit more snug than others.

Its interesting that they all do this, including the ones in the apple store

9. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Apple seems to be migrating to much cheaper flimsy components.

The ports on my mid 2010 MBP were wonderfully snug and precise fitting. On my 2012 and now 2014 MBP's the ports are sloppy and dull in appearance.

But they do work so Apple continues to increase their gross profit.

10. scottyboy88 macrumors newbie

Looking inside the port, it looks like they have machine their own ports, rather than use standard parts (like my plastic hp laptop)

I have to say, this is the only design complaint I've found, the macbook pro is an awesome bit of kit. I love how fast flash is! :)

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You can't draw that conclusion that from the feel of the USB port. I use the hell out of my rMBP's USB and Thunderbolt ports, and while I agree that they feel "gently gripped," they have been reliable both in terms of connection and in terms of holding up over the long haul.

----------

I'd imagine it's a thinness thing.

12. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

You're assuming, a practice that'll always result in an incorrect answer. At no time did I reach a conclusion using your assumption, nor did I say the components won't last as long. They're simply cheap and flimsy like an old Dell. Apple once had more pride in what they created.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I've had an old Dell. Two, in fact. So I don't need to look up the definition of "flimsy." But apparently you do, so here:

flim·sy (ˈflimzē'); adjective

1.comparatively light and insubstantial; easily damaged.​

...The ports on my well-traveled and heavily-used rMBP grip gently but are not easily damaged, and I'd doubt yours are either.

Keep in mind that the gentler contact might have lifetime benefits. Less wear on the contacts.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

The ports have always been loose, but over the last six months, things have gotten worse. Even when I am not touching the computer, the drive suddenly disconnects regardless of which port I am using. Now, it happens every day and it is time to take it into the store. I'd say they have some QA issues here. It is probably just on the edge of OK for most folks, but in my case, I slipped over into defective territory (2014 rMBP). I never noticed any looseness or trouble with the USB ports. I expect (as usual) that I'll get fantastic support and they'll make it right.

15. scottyboy88, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

scottyboy88 macrumors newbie

I couldn't live with my loose ports and the base plate also started creaking so ended up returning for a refund... Not acceptable for a high end laptop of this price. I couldn't keep convincing myself it was "normal"...