rMBP using iMac as Target Display via Thunderbolt [problem]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tfannon, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tfannon macrumors newbie

As the title says: I am going from my rMBP to my iMac (2011) via a thunderbolt - thunderbolt cable. I switch the iMac into Target Display mode via Cmd-F2. This works.

However, whenever the rMBP goes to sleep, it loses the second display. The only way to get it back seems to be to unlock the iMac (which also has gone to lockscreen), and re-enter Target mode via Cmd-F2 again.

In addition to being a big hassle, all Windows which had been moved to second display are back on the first and need to be re-moved.

It's really not worth it. Anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks.

2. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

This might solve your problem. The computer that you intend to be the external display must have all its energy settings turned off. Also, make sure it doesn't ask for a password when coming out of any sleep mode. Apparently the energy settings of the machine that becomes the external works independently and can cause the display to not wake. It's completely ridiculous, but such is the current state of the thunderbolt. Give it a try. It didn't solve my problem, but it might help you.