RMBP using more ram than expected?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatguy215, Jun 20, 2012.

1. thatguy215, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012

thatguy215 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Heres a screenshot of my base model RMBP with 8gb of ram. I haven't even done any intensive stuff yet and its already taking over 4gbs of ram. Whats going on here?!!?

[​IMG]

2. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

3. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I read an article in the past that explained this as I was thinking the same thing. "Wired" is really all the system is using. So, realistically, your system is only using 1GB ram. Active means it is ready to be used if necessary and free is really memory not being used at all. I'm not absolutely positive, but I believe I remember that's what I read.

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

its not that bad... holding extra memory happens sometimes... its trying ot be efficient.

Its not actually using over 4GB in your picture if you look at the "inactive" memory... its using about 3gb, and if your dynamic switching is still enabled 512mb of that is probably going to your Intel HD 4000.

5. thatguy215 thread starter macrumors member

I see.

I was a bit worried there. What acutally made me look was when I was testing out Diablo 3, it almost went all the way up to 8gb of ram.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Everything is perfectly fine in your screen shot and running as it should be.