rMBP v MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crazy Badger, Sep 18, 2013.

  1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

    Crazy Badger

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #1
    I know this has probably been done a thousand times before, but that generally never stopped anyone :D

    I'm currently using a 13" 2010 MBA and as it's approaching the end of it's Applecare life it's time for an upgrade. To be honest, the machine is more than capable and I'm sure I could carry on using for another 12 months, but my girlfriend gets my cast-off IT and her 2007 MBA isn't holding up quite as well. I also want my backlit keyboard back!

    If there wasn't a rMBP, the decision would be easy - another 13" MBA with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

    If the rMBP wasn't due an update this year, it would also be an easy decision. But it is, and rumours suggest it's not too far away so what do you think will tip the balance in favour of the rMBP? I'd still want 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, but unlikely to upgrade the processor in the rMBP (I might if I go with the MBA, so there's probably only a ~£100 price difference given current prices)
     
  2. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #2
    The performance difference is negligible for most tasks, so it boils down to whether you want to have a retina display or not. If you are unsure, I'd say wait and see what the new rMBP will be like. Right now, I'd say the 13" Air is a better buy than the 13" retina.
     
  3. Autrement macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #3
    If it really is only a ~£100 price difference for you, the retina screen is well worth that. The bottom line is that you probably should wait through October to see what the rMBP refresh looks like –*you'll be getting more for your money and a second generation machine that hopefully has some of the kinks worked out of it.
     

Share This Page