rMBP vs 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evil0ne, Jul 13, 2012.

1. evil0ne macrumors newbie

I have the following two configurations in my cart and I'm torn between the two:

$1,629 - 13" MBA with 2 GHz Dual i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
    $1,999 - 15" rMBP with 2.3GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

The big differences:
    Screen (+1 rMBP, although they both display 1440x900 by default)
    CPU (+1 rMBP)
    Video (+ 1 rMBP)
    2-3 Weeks (+1 MBA)
    1.5 pounds (+1 MBA)
    $300 (+1 MBA)

My current laptop is an early 2010 15" MBP 2.66GHz Core i7 with 8GB RAM for comparison.

Anyone want to push me in one direction??

2. Adidas Addict, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

nah......

Oh go on then, the 13" MBA has the worst quality display on any computer Apple currently make.

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

The 2-3 weeks should not be a deciding factor, especially if you have a working laptop already.

It all really depends on what you're planning on using it for, but I think the MBPR is a bargain for more real estate, a far better screen, and a quad core processor for a mere $300 more. But of course, I need something with a quad-core processor, so YMMV.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

Since you provided no information at all about your usage, I recommend getting both because who knows what you're doing.

5. Coldmode macrumors regular

What do you use your computer for? Do you carry it around a lot or is it unlikely to leave your desk? Do you want to give me your old machine?

These are all questions that will help me give a more informed answer ;-).

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

really depends on what you will be using the machine for. The biggest difference is between the dual core and quad core. If you only do light task, the quad core is useless and you are paying a big premium for the display.

7. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I had the same decision to make, but it was based on hard drive size because I could have 500gb in the Air and only 256 in the Pro. I went with the pro though, because it was the better machine.

Like everyone else said, it all depends on what you are doing with it. If you're only going to be browsing the web, then get the Air. If you're doing more processor-intensive stuff, you may want the pro.

8. evil0ne thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry forgot to give my usage. I use my computer a lot but 70% is what I would consider light usage. The other usage is done in LightRoom, Photoshop and Fusion for PC needs.

For someone who asked, the old machine will probably be up for sale as soon as I get everything moved over. It has some lumps and bruises but it has been bulletproof.

9. Slivortal macrumors 6502

The quad core would definitely help out with virtualizing, especially if you're doing stuff like LightRoom in them...

As I said, I'd personally go for the MBPR.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Do you need a quad core CPU or a dedicated GPU?

Will a higher quality (IPS) display make a big difference in your usage? Or the ability to choose different resolution scaling options?

Is size and weight most important?

Really it all depends on what you need/want and how you will use it. There are pros and cons to both.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

sounds like you will be just fine with an Air

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Retina by a long margin, and I have a 2011 Air...

13. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I love my rmbp. And if you are just wanting a base model. dno't order form apple. Let your fingers do some walking. I found THREE best buy stores last night with the base model in stock. Drove to the next closest town and picked one up. They will even hold one for you. DON"T purchase the best buy garbage warranty. Stick with AppleCare.

14. evil0ne thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordering from Apple Education gives me the best deal including tax and the $100 itunes card.

15. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Not sure how much th education discount is, but best buy has them on sale for 2089.00. I have also seen threads on here statin gthey will match education pricing and that here is a sku for the $100 itunes gift card. I could have saved some money with my military discount but got really tired of playing the waiting game :)

16. evil0ne thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks!

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

edu discount is $200 on the retina's

18. froa macrumors member

If you want to take the laptop everywhere, take the MBA; If you want the Retina Display more, take the RMBP; otherwise just keep the current 2010 MBP.

19. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I returned the same air as you're considering. I was going to try and be sensible and just get by with the integrated graphics and a dual core but in the end i wanted a quad core again and the discrete graphics.

I do love the portability of the air but for me really handling some encoding and working with novice hd projects is what i love to do.

Just getting by with an 1800$ computer seemed more like a crime than spending an extra grand on a dream.

I love it.