rMBP vs cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dixie8123, Dec 10, 2013.

?

Do you prefer the Retina Display MBP or non-retina MBP

1. Retina Display MacBook Pro

37 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. Non-Retina MacBook Pro

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. dixie8123 macrumors member

Just out of curiosity, which MBP do you prefer? Also, can you say why in the comments. I'm looking into purchasing a new MBP

PS: Your preference can include the no-longer-made 15 & 17" cMBPs

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I still prefer my early-2011 15" cMBP, because of its antiglare screen and upgradeability.

Although my retina is IPS, it still attracts glare like a solar panel. It's a big turn-off using it outdoors.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Retina because retina.
    Upgraders gonna upgrade.
    I despise - with an irrational passion - optical media and the decades-old technology they enslave people with.

Did I say I prefer Retina?

4. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I bloody love optical drives, hard disks and low-res displays! I enjoy them wholeheartedly!

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Retina. Fewer internal cables failing, and the display is gorgeous ;)

6. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

The more mechanical parts the better!

7. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I'm guessing we'll be talking about this for a few more years, even though the supply of the cMBPs is drying up ;)

I would have loved to get a retina, but the following things made me order a refurbished cMBP instead:

1. Built in ethernet. Sure, I could get a thunderbolt adapter, but I think dongles like that are even more antiquated than optical disks. If you don't use wired networks, I guess it's a moo point (a cow's opinion ;)).
    2. Kensington lock slot. There are work arounds for that, but they are way too ugly.
    3. If I want a large capacity SSD inside, buying a cMBP and upgrading it myself cost half as much as an rMBP with the same capacity. Sure, it may not be as blazingly fast as rMBP's new PCIe storage, but for $1500 I think I'll manage.

If the last was the only point, I would probably shell out the money and get the rMBP, but I would really expect a perfect device for the money. Since Apple does not make a retina device with an ethernet port and a lock slot, I guess I'll wait some more, maybe I will not need them in the future. Nobody needs a retina screen, it's just a nice to have extra. It makes no sense to sacrifice useful functionality for it.