rMBP vs Haswell rMBP (2013 April)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Dec 23, 2012.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I found a store that is selling the 15" rMBP 512 gb / 8gb with a $300 discount during XMAS so I'm thinking of picking one up.

Is this a good buy or will I spend many months running into annoyances? ( I prefer to skip 1st gen products usually )

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Have you read about possible problems? Any laptop can have problems.

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

I've heard many complaining that the rest of the world does not have enough retina content to fully utilise the screen...

4. jangozo macrumors member

What does that even mean? Are you referring to foreign internet sites?

<Back on topic>
    Make sure they have a good returns policy.

5. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

More and more software is making good use of the Retina display. You may not be able to utilize it 100% or all of the time, but after you did you never want to go back...

Go to any store offering both Retina and non-Retina display machines and compare both side by side. Take a look at the dock and at some text on screen. If you don't see any difference you probably don't need a Retina display in the first place...

6. idunn macrumors 6502

Maybe not

You might want to continue your policy of avoiding 1st generation products.

There have been some issues with the Model A retinas; whether you would suffer this is a roll of the dice. All the more as various screen issues have been reported popping up months after purchase (and beyond initial inspection, if from a store, and easy return). There seems a fair chance Model B retinas will experience fewer such issues.

The advent of Haswell should help the relatively underpowered 13" retinas most, but still a consideration with the 15", particularly regarding eventual resale.

$300 seems like a decent discount, otherwise. Although as it is built in, ideally one would want 16GB of RAM, especially in a 15" model where it may be more likely used.

As halfway inclined, you might want to skip this.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

$300 off is a tremendous deal on what is actually a very good value computer for what you get. I would buy it, 'cept I've already got one...

8. yinz macrumors 6502a

Yes, I realize this. I'm just regurgitating what I heard. That's good advice.

It means that the things you see over the web, along with some apps you download, do not have a high enough resolution to fill up all the pixels on your screen.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

As always seems the case, there are likely a LOT more Good Ones than Bad Ones, and usually people would be more likely to Complain than Praise.. Sadly.. :rolleyes:

Need It..

Buy It..

Use It..

Like It..

Repeat Every Three Years, or as Needed..

:apple: